Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-09-2021, 02:41 PM   #1
richard42

40 year old epoxy adhesive tile removal

Hello all,
Thanks for a forum like this.
I placed ceramic tile down over concrete 40 years ago using an epoxy adhesive instead of quick set mortar. Why? I can't remember.
Now I would like to remove this tile but I'm not sure I can just wedge it up like I think you can with quick set mortar adhesive. I suspect the tile will break in small pieces and not come up in larger plates, making the removal more time consuming. The tiles are about 8"x8"x3/8" thick.
I will greatly appreciate any advice for how best to remove this tile down to the concrete so I can change it out. I'm hoping I'm wrong about the difficulty of epoxy adhered tile.
Thanks, Richard
Unread 07-09-2021, 02:47 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Richard.

The only way to know how easily the tiles will come up is to try to remove a couple.

You'll almost certainly need to remove the residual epoxy with some sort of mechanical means. Scraping may work, but is unlikely. A grinder of some sort is likely to be required, but the epoxy may clog up whatever device you choose. Again, you'll just hafta give it a try to see. If you can give us a specific name for the epoxy you used, that might help, but you're still gonna hafta test it to see what works. The epoxies we had 40 years ago are not the same animals we have today.

I would no recommend you use anything with quick in the description to set your new tiles. A good modified thinset mortar (ANSI A118.4) is all you need and will give you more working time. If you're very highly skilled at tile setting and in a hurry, a rapid setting mortar may be indicated, but I would use those only for repairs in most cases.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2021, 05:37 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Richard.

Do you have access to a chipping hammer?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2021, 05:56 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yep, I'm with the others. A grinder/cupwheel that has a vacuum attachment would be my weapon of choice after the tiles are removed with a chipping hammer. Usually a Dust Deputy set up really helps depending on how large your tile area is.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase