Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-04-2021, 02:31 PM   #1
Emil Volk

Tape instead of caulk

i see ads for sealing tape products that are presented as an alternative to caulk.
I wonder if anyone in the group has tried them out.

https://fitmywellness.shop/products/...hTukZr8dNBdNX0
Unread 07-04-2021, 03:57 PM   #2
jerrymlr1

Never ran across any ads for it. I for one hate caulk but this is about as cheesy as it gets, being civil here. Even if I was doing that type of work I wouldn’t use something like that in a trailer park.
Unread 07-04-2021, 04:02 PM   #3
Gozo

I’d have to put in a vote against it. I had used a similar (if not the same) product in my shower before the remodel. Tried various things to seal the plane change between the tile and fiberglass shower pan. Had to replace this stuff probably every 6 months or so; got moldy and discolored fairly quickly. Was more effort than it was worth.
A few pictures in my build thread at: https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...70&postcount=1

On Jerry’s comment, agree, but still “ouch”.

Last edited by Gozo; 07-04-2021 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Added comment on above post
Gozo is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2021, 04:45 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

I think Jerry is being way too critical. I can see a nice stone-look porcelain tile being trimmed out with that pink tape.

I dunno, Emil. I'm not good at applying caulk or sealant, but I can make joints look better than that. As usual, of course, that is:

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2021, 05:28 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Another big vote against it.

I consider myself quite good at applying and tooling caulk. You can be, too. Applying caulk is a skill, not a talent, so anyone can learn. The fact that almost everyone who dislikes caulking has not had a sufficient amount of time to practice is a key reason. Assuming you want caulk, are you desiring latex or silicone?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2021, 06:24 PM   #6
smifwal

I used to dread caulking, I bought this kit and it is potato head easy, still take some practice but it works great

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NCZ2DQJ...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Unread 07-04-2021, 06:50 PM   #7
Emil Volk

Tape instead of caulk

I just wondered what first hand experience there is out there. There are loads of ads all over the place for this approach.
I am suspicious of such ads until an experienced individua comments. I myself have bought a caulk too kit, but I will use 100% silicone rather than acrylic, which is degraded by micro-organisms.
h.
Unread 07-04-2021, 08:04 PM   #8
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

I prefer 100% silicone over acrylic except when I’m caulking to a painted surface.

Those kits can be wonderful. But I’d avoid the rounded corner profile, as that leaves a feather edge to the silicone bead that is prone to lifting and allowing moisture/mold to grow under it. Opt for the 45 degree profile tool instead. And it’s important to use a spray when tooling. There are commercially available sprays like Color Rite’s Mist. The spray keeps the silicone from spreading all over the place when you’re tooling. It allows the excess caulk to be collected on the tool itself. On this same page, you will find Color Rite’s smoothing tool. I’ve been using that tool very successfully for years.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2021, 08:44 PM   #9
jerrymlr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
I think Jerry is being way too critical
Maybe. Probably not. It looks below K-tel and Ronco. Even scam maybe. All 18 stellar reviews are 14-17 days old have similar comments. That aside, it still has cheapo city written all over it. With the one exception of stone look porcelain wrapped in the pink version. I guess I would hafta agree with CX there. ????
Unread 07-05-2021, 06:34 AM   #10
Emil Volk

Tape instead of caulk

Thanks to all for the replies; I agree with Shawn that the caulking kit he describes is excellent, however, it is hugely overpriced. I bought another kit from Amazon. There are dozens of ads out there for such tapes. I find that in this geographical area (DC) that many contractors speak of 20 years experience and often it is 20 years of doing things improperly and not well. Simply put they keep on doing what they have been doing for years without any thoughts of deficiencies or improvements. On the other hand I have come across contractors, who are competent. I am surprised by CX's comments re caulk, since I know he has huge excellent experience and I have benefitted much from his advice.
Unread 07-05-2021, 06:35 AM   #11
RichVT
Vermont Remodeling Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Guy - Kg
I prefer 100% silicone over acrylic except when I’m caulking to a painted surface.

Those kits can be wonderful. But I’d avoid the rounded corner profile, as that leaves a feather edge to the silicone bead that is prone to lifting and allowing moisture/mold to grow under it. Opt for the 45 degree profile tool instead. And it’s important to use a spray when tooling. There are commercially available sprays like Color Rite’s Mist. The spray keeps the silicone from spreading all over the place when you’re tooling. It allows the excess caulk to be collected on the tool itself. On this same page, you will find Color Rite’s smoothing tool. I’ve been using that tool very successfully for years.
Another vote for the Colorite spray and tool. With a little practice you can get a perfect bead. Perfect in appearance AND function.

The first time I used it, I mocked up some corners on my test board to practice on.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase