Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-26-2021, 11:26 AM   #1
SW828

Tile niche layout issue

My husband and I are remodeling our bathroom. Ripped it down to the studs. We've got the tub installed, hardiebacker in, Kerdi niche in, Kerdi membrane up, and we've started tiling our last wall (plumbing wall). I'm using standard 3x6 white subway tiles. I'm 3 rows of tile from the bottom of the niche, but my bottom tile is going to be taller than the bottom of the niche. When we planned layout my husband was emphatic that the bottom tile should be a little taller than the bottom of the niche so that when a tile is laid on the bottom of the shelf they match up (or maybe he thought the one on the wall would cover the one on the shelf?). I was too tired to argue with him on this (and he's an engineer so measurements are his deal), so we planned our whole shower layout based on this. I should have dug in on this, but while I've done lots of tiling I've never done a niche.

I planned to use Schluter Jolly with anchoring legs on the outside of the niche to finish the niche edges because I didn't want to use bullnose or miter the edges. So here's what I'm wondering:

1. Am I now in a pickle where I have to miter the tiles for the niche edge?

2. Should I track down bullnose pieces to use for the niche instead of Jolly?

3. Could I do something to build up the inside bottom of the niche so I can still use Schluter Jolly as planned?

4. Should I shave down the 1/4 inch of the tile that is below the niche edge and put in Schluter Jolly as planned? (Seems like it'd get a funky set of grout lines)

5. Should I shave down the bottom tile then install the Schluter Jolly on the inside of the niche (mitering the Jolly)?

I'm really meticulous about getting all the tile lined up in the shower, and everything else looks pristine so I'm not taking down two walls of good tile work to fix this one thing with the niche. Right now I'm looking for the best aesthetic option.

Thanks for the help!!

Last edited by SW828; 05-26-2021 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Add slight detail
SW828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-26-2021, 10:40 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome, SW.

Well, if your intention was to use Jolly with the anchoring legs on the outside of the niche, you would indeed need to run the course of tile that aligns with the bottom of the niche up above the bottom of the niche by the thickness of one tile. Kinda seems like you’re all set, as is...unless I’m misunderstanding your description.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2021, 07:47 AM   #3
MesaTileworks

Unless I misunderstand your situation, I think your #4 is your best option. Assuming you’ve a way to cut the tile (got a wet saw?) it shouldn’t be too difficult to get a nice clean cut line where the tile meets the Schluter trim. Cutting off 1/4” means you’ve still got most of a tile, which is pretty normal, and should look fine.

I know some cats plan out a custom niche height and position so that no cuts (or in this case no vertical cuts) are needed, but given the vagaries of tile, grout joints, non-level/plumb surfaces, etc. that kind of thing is damnably difficult, in my experience, and you’re better off planning to shave a bit off a row where it meets the niche as you’ve done here.
MesaTileworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2021, 06:17 PM   #4
SW828

Thanks for the input. I've really appreciated reading the posts in this community.

Tool guy - Kg, I was planning to use the anchors on the outside. But in Schluter's tutorial for how to do that they have the last course of tile before the bottom of the niche ending flush with the bottom of the niche before the inside base of the niche is tiled. I was worried that the Jolly would have nothing to anchor to or sit proud of the tiled bottom inside the niche, but I wasn't taking into account that I should tile the inside of the niche first, which would mean that the Jolly would have a surface and thin set to sit on.

I do have a wet saw (I can't imagine tiling without one- leave that to the pros!). So if I need to shave down the height of the tile that butts up to the bottom of the niche that won't be a problem. Thanks MesaTileworks for your feedback too.

So appreciate the input!
Unread 05-27-2021, 06:55 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

That tutorial is only *one* way to configure the profile strips. But it doesn’t match your desired and completely acceptable configuration. I like your configuration better, as it minimizes the appearance of the metal profile. Leave the tile as is and tile it with the profile leg on the outside like you wanted.

You can install either the face tile or the inside niche bottom tile first. But place a little scrap of tile on the bottom of the bare niche to make sure it’s aligning like you want with the face tile with profile. You want to avoid the situation where the tile on the bottom of your niche sits a little too high to meet the metal profile on the front. It’s okay to add a little more mortar to bring that tile a little higher, as needed...but if it’s already too high in relation to the face tile, you want to devise a strategy to work with that ahead of time (like cutting away some of the tile thickness with the wet saw).

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase