Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-14-2021, 05:11 PM   #1
Salty dog

Cutting glass subway tile? HELP!

I know this is a sensitive subject in the tile world and I'm by no means a pro. However, I've cut porcelain, ceramic, travertine, marble and granite in the past so I'm pretty handy with a saw.

Glass? This stuff will have me in the corner weeping at this rate. I need some help, tips, tricks and or advice if you would be so kind.

First off I'm doing a kitchen backsplash using 3" x 9" glass subway tile from Floor and Decor and I'd like to install this in a herringbone pattern for a bit of visual interest. The tile is called Pure Blue glass tile and it's 8mm thick.

My weapon of choice is a Delta Cruzer 7" wet saw with a plunge feature and a new glass blade. But I also have a snapper and a Ryobi tabletop saw.

I can't seem to get a good, clean cut and with herringbone, there are a lot of cuts. What's the best method? Any tips or tricks? I'm either coming out with jagged edges or broken corners.
Unread 02-14-2021, 06:50 PM   #2
Lou_MA

I use a manual tool whenever possible, something like this (get the oil and glass nippers too)

https://www.amazon.com/Toyo-Pistol-G...-cutter-pcr-20

When using a glass blade, go sloooow and make sure water feed is adequate. When tile is really chippy I’ll raise the blade to just score the surface, drop the blade a 1/16” or so and repeat until done.

If the tile has a painted back, score the back first so you don’t get a jagged paint line shadowing through.
Unread 02-15-2021, 10:18 AM   #3
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
You might also want to try a good quality glass blade, Gina.

I used a Montolit CPV glass blade. Though expensive it sliced through my glass tile with no difficulty or chipping at all.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2021, 10:01 AM   #4
NickyK

I'm with ya, Gina

Gina -
I hear ya! My problem is not the chipping, but the time and effort it takes to push these thru a wet saw! With the correct type of blade!
I'll be in that corner crying with ya....makes cutting the other types of tile look like child's play! ugh!

Nicky

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase