Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-01-2021, 09:40 AM   #1
NickyK

Help!! Issue -Glass tile blade - wet saw - time issue

I'm hoping someone can help me. I've been using a diamond/glass/mosaic blade on my wet saw to cut my 3x6" glass tiles. The problem I am having is that the force and length of time that it take to cut one tile. The blade I'm using is brand new. It takes about 5 minutes to cut a tile and that is with me forcibly pushing (hard) the tile against the blade.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a better way of doing this? It was almost faster when I began cutting the tiles with the ceramic blade.....Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Nicky
Unread 07-01-2021, 10:02 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Nicky.

What saw are you using? Be specific.

What blade are you using? Again, be specific.

What tile are you cutting? See above.

You can't yet post links, but just spell out the URL, if applicable, with an extra space in the www and a moderator will light it up.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2021, 10:19 AM   #3
NickyK

Thank you!

I'm a moron. After reading and answering most of your questions, when I went to find the name of the tile, Thomas Avenue Ceramics - I realized that they are ceramic (?) and not glass..I skimmed over the description and misread "glazed" for "glass".

I apologize!
Unread 07-01-2021, 11:56 AM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky
After reading and answering most of your questions...
I don't see the answers to my questions, Nicky. Doesn't matter at all to us what mistakes might have been made in identification of the tile, if you're having trouble cutting it, we have people who can likely help.

But we need to know the answers to the questions in post #2.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2021, 12:18 PM   #5
MTy

Just a thought, was the blade on backwards? I accidentally cut ceramic tile with a glass blade one time and wouldn't have known the difference with how it fed into the saw. Don't know wet saws well enough to know if a backwards blade would cause your issue.

I do know table saws however, and you should never have to force anything you're cutting in any saw. In fact in can be quite dangerous, more risk of something slipping uncontrollably and the loss of a body part or worse. Rarely should you need anything more than gentle to moderate pressure when using any saw. If something happens to need more pressure a jig or other tool can be made to keep hands away from the blade. Although that's good practice in general.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase