Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-20-2006, 07:25 PM   #1
evanpowens

tips for handmade (irregular) tiles?

Does anyone have any tips to share on problems associated with using handmade tile such as Walker-Zanger Tiberon, which is 6x6 but wildly irregular in shape. Obviously spacers aren't going to be much help with out of square tiles so layout is going to have to be by grid lines and by eye. I assume that one goes for really wide grout (1/4 or so) so as to cope with the irregular size of the tiles.

These tiles are also quite thick (1/2") and heavy; does that change anything about how one does a wall application?

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.
evanpowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-20-2006, 07:42 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Evan welcome. You might try some big plastic wedges, these tilespikes work well for walls.
http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39025

I like to back butter tiles like this and level up each row as I go up, shim up to the level with the spikes.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2006, 11:32 PM   #3
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Hi Evan,
I recall that tile as being very "thirsty" and that I gave handfulls of the tile a soaking in clean water and let them drain before setting them. Also, it's a helpful step if you can set up your saw close by and trim all of the crud, like excess bisque and too heavy glaze, off of the edges. Likewise, if you alternate the "cupping" of the tile you'll end up with a fairly flat course. You can't go fast with it so you'll just need to make sure you've got plenty of wedges available and check your courses for level often. Here's a kitchen I did with the stuff a few years ago. You'll notice that the picture frame at the cooktop looks hacked together. The homeowner noticed it also and called an outside inspector to evaluate the work. The inspector, from the Ceramic Tile Institute of America, went over the whole job and then turned to the homeowner and said, "Lady, I would pay top dollar to have this work in my own home." That's just the nature of the material you are working with so my heart goes out to you.
Shaughnn
Attached Images

Last edited by Shaughnn; 09-20-2006 at 11:37 PM.
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2006, 05:47 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Shaughnn, nice work.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2006, 09:28 PM   #5
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Thanks Davy, but my point is that this Walker-Zanger "Tiburon" tile is just not going to cooperate and so it's very important that the end-client know what to expect. The picture frame in my photo was constructed of three elements, none of which were flat, straight or consistantly sized. The bulky chairrail had some pieces which were warped 5/8"! I'm not kidding about that. The entire job was potato chips and bananas and not a flat tile in the bunch. And all of it has 1/16" spacing!
If Evan needs a shoulder to cry on, I'm here for him.
Shaughnn

Last edited by Shaughnn; 09-23-2006 at 12:33 AM.
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2006, 10:39 AM   #6
evanpowens

Thanks Shaughn and Davy for the helpful advice. My project isn't nearly as demanding as the backsplash: plain fields with a few inset 3" flowers. I'm essentially replicating a friend's bathroom design, so I have seen this tile installed and have a sense of the irregular quality.

This forum is such a wonderful resource: everyone in the trade is so generous with advice for the DIYers.

Thanks again!
evanpowens is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase