Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-27-2021, 03:14 PM   #31
VA Dan

I ended up furring out the whole wall. I was able to do it with only losing 2.5" of the original shower depth, which is preferable to me over dealing with the bulkhead.

On to the layout details so that I can locate my niche optimally (if possible). If you'll refer to the pic above of the model shower from F&D that I'm trying to build, the field tiles are 4x12 white marble with a lot of grain. They measure exactly 3-7/8 x 12, so I assumed that an 1/8" spacing was intended, but the model setters seem to have used 1/16". I do like the tighter look, but I wonder what you guys would do. I'm going to put a 12x12 kerdi niche between the valve and shower head, and since it's only 12" I'd like to, and should be able to have my grout lines break on the top and bottom...theoretically. That said, I was also planning to frame the niche with 1/2" pencil as well, so I that does change things now that I think about it. Since the niche will be framed, should I not even worry about where the grout lines break?
Unread 07-27-2021, 03:31 PM   #32
cx
Moderator emeritus

First recommendation would be for you to call up our Advanced Search feature and type in marble shower. Read at least a few of threads about the problems with that material in a shower before making your final decision.

As for the grout joint width, if your tiles are near perfectly rectified you can certainly use the 1/16th" joint if you have the patience for it.

If you want to match your joint with your chosen niche, I recommend you do a dry layout on the floor to see what will/will not work for you.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2021, 03:57 PM   #33
VA Dan

I have certainly spent a lot of time reading about marble shower issues; and there is a lot of conflicting info out there. It seems as though color change is the biggest complaint, but considering that my chosen tiles are grainy and unevenly colored from the start, I'm guessing it won't be an issue. The manufacturer does recommend an enhancing sealer, presumably to highlight the colors and texture as well as seal. That said, I've read a lot of conflicting info on sealing as well.

Regarding the grout lines, are you suggesting that you would go with 1/8"?

And I'll absolutely do a dry layout on the floor, but I have to decide on a grout line first.
Unread 08-01-2021, 08:26 AM   #34
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Though the good ship Furout has already sailed, I'd have considered extending a soffet down about 3 feet from the ceiling (assuming an 8' ceiling height), then bump out the wall about 12" or 14" below that, basically leaving a niche that runs the length of the wall. A more modern look though.

1/16th grout joints are not too fussy if, as CX said, your chosen tile is very consistent in its length and width measurements. I used 1/16th joints for my shower walls, the tiles I installed were nearly dead on in their size from tile to tile.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2021, 08:29 AM   #35
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
I'd have considered extending a soffet down about 3 feet from the ceiling (assuming an 8' ceiling height),..
Leaving a 5-foot ceiling height in the shower, Dan? Some of us are confused.

Unread 08-01-2021, 11:09 AM   #36
ss3964spd

Maybe the drawing helps?

The niche would run the length of the back wall.
Attached Images

Unread 08-01-2021, 04:30 PM   #37
VA Dan

Dan, I like that idea and I think it would have looked good. But, alas, as you said that ship has sailed. And I’m feeling pretty good about where the plans are heading at the moment. Earlier when CX mentioned making the soffit into a feature, that idea is one of many that escaped me in how to do so. Anyway, thanks for the input. As always, the more the merrier.

Now that I’m pretty sure I’m settled on the shower plans, it’s time to get the rest of the regular old bathroom stuff knocked out so that I don’t get ahead of myself. Be back later.
Unread 09-12-2021, 08:09 PM   #38
VA Dan

Progress

So, I’ve been at it pretty steady evenings and weekends. Just set the last of the tile this evening, and thought I’d share some progress pics. All has gone relatively smooth thanks in large part to all the reading and guidance I’ve gotten here.
Attached Images

Unread 09-12-2021, 08:14 PM   #39
VA Dan

And that troublesome transition turned out pretty decent.
Attached Images

Unread 09-13-2021, 05:32 AM   #40
VA Dan

Silicone and grout

Do you guys silicone or grout first? On other smaller tiling projects I’ve done (backsplashes and floors), I’ve always siliconed last, but I’m thinking it might help to keep the grout out of the corners if I silicone them first. Suggestions? Thanks.
Also, silicone inside corners of niche as well, or do those plane changes not really matter?
Unread 09-13-2021, 08:44 AM   #41
cx
Moderator emeritus

The ceramic tile industry recommends you grout first, let the grout cure, then apply your flexible sealant, Dan. You may, of course, do yours any way you like. I think you'll find it much more difficult to keep open joints for grout if you caulk first.

Unread 09-13-2021, 10:21 AM   #42
VA Dan

Thanks CX. Understood. How about the corners in the niche? Do those changes in plane really matter, from a movement standpoint, warranting caulk or should I just fill them up with grout? It's a Kerdi niche.
Unread 09-13-2021, 11:22 AM   #43
ss3964spd

FWIW, Dan, I grouted my entire niche, and have read many others did too. While there are technically changes of plane they are all within the same wall assembly.
Unread 09-13-2021, 11:52 AM   #44
cx
Moderator emeritus

I agree with Dan. See my warranty information below.

Unread 09-15-2021, 12:45 PM   #45
VA Dan

Grout mistake??

To decide on a grout color I did a sample piece of my mosaic and a couple field tiles with two grout colors that I had on hand They were Mapei Keracolor Unsanded in Pearl Gray (rather dark) and Warm Gray (rather light), just in case you're familiar. With the samples, the Warm Gray was the clear winner - so much so that it didn't even warrant getting any other colors to test in my opinion and that of my wife. So I went ahead and grouted the floor prior to finishing tiling the walls and mosaic bands. See pics above. After looking at the floor for a few days now, I feel like the grout is too light and sort of washes out any definition in the mosaic pattern. Before I start grouting the walls, I'm wondering a few things:

Will the grout on the floor darken over time?
In my limited experience grout does darken over time which is a problem for some, but would be good for me in this situation.

If I choose a slightly darker grout for the walls, will it be noticeable to anyone but me? Would it look goofy?
I realize this is an impossible question for anyone on here to answer, but just curious if anyone has had a similar experience.

Can I darken the floor grout a bit?
Given the pattern and the material of the floor mosaic, I imagine this option would be troublesome.

A complete redo of the floor is out of the question. It doesn't bother me that much.

Any other input or approaches that I've not considered?

Thanks

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase