Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-26-2021, 02:46 PM   #31
Cwoods

Thank you CX. On to my next question LOL, sorry guys.
Since I can't seem to make my layout work with niche placement I'm trying to go with Justin's suggestions and make the back wall centered with as much full tile as possible in the top row against the ceiling. So.... if I rip the top to 8" I end up with a 2-3/4" on the bottom and it falls within the niche fine (niches also have a divider within them to play with).
I seem to have about 2" I could go either way, should I skinny the top course some to pay Paul on the bottom course? Is this going to look funky with this layout?
If I go this route I will be getting creative with a ledger board because of the kbrs lipbehind the wall on the pan. I'm not putting a hole in that...or would I skip up another row for a ledger and finish the last 2 courses against the floor with shims under the bottom row?
Attached Images

Unread 07-26-2021, 03:16 PM   #32
VA Dan

Chris, I'm enjoying your thread. It seems as though you and I think the same way...or, overthink, that is. Like getting stuck trying to psych out some abstract detail 9 steps ahead of where you are because you know that if ignored, it could present a less than ideal situation later. And while you can think of six different ways to approach it, you can't conjure up a clear picture in your mind of which way is optimal. And all the while progress is at a standstill, (although you're much further ahead than I am).

Anyway, I'm not offering anything productive to your shower job, just saying I feel your pain. And your questions, and the excellent answers you're getting from these guys, are helping me out as well as I think ahead a few steps. So, thanks and good luck.

Dan
Unread 07-26-2021, 03:18 PM   #33
cx
Moderator emeritus

We're still using 12"x24" tiles, Chris?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2021, 04:25 PM   #34
Cwoods

VA Dan you just brought a smile to my face. You have described me to a T and my situation as well! All this time I'm staring at this puzzle and re-evaluating it over and over I hear an imaginary clock ticking in my head of time loss....I'm a government employee fortunate enough to work winters here in Alaska and take summers off. This top floor remodel has had me hopping and with my yearly 2 week moose hunt quickly approaching before winter season start at work I'm feeling the pressure!!!
Yes that's right CX on the 12x24 tiles Sir. Full tiles will not quite stretch to the shower floor and the shower pan floor is 1-1/2" higher then the bathroom floor where I will be wrapping the tiles around the wall to the outside of the entrance and on one side running back to the outside wall and terminating in an inside corner(30ish inches).
My head hurts ????
Unread 07-26-2021, 04:30 PM   #35
cx
Moderator emeritus

I would not accept a 2 3/4" "skinny" in a layout using 12"x24" tiles and certainly not to accommodate the location of a niche in the shower wall.

Time for Plan B.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 07-26-2021, 05:38 PM   #36
Cwoods

I was afraid of that! I've actually scrapped the idea of accommodating the niche. Now I'm just trying to cover the distance on the shower wall. I keep coming back to a 4" on top or bottom and a 7" on the other.
Unread 07-26-2021, 06:04 PM   #37
Cwoods

If I run a full tile on the top course against the ceiling I believe I can make it work with the niches as well but here's what's messing with my head, where I wrap around the wall and carry to the inside corner in the pic I will be left with this narrow 2" strip. This way would also use most of a full tile inside the shower so that part works...
The bathroom floor will also be tiled in an offset color then the shower wall and I planned on using tile as a base board, but not only 2" up and I would think I would want to meet up with the grout line on the shower wall in that corner. Thoughts?
Attached Images

Unread 07-26-2021, 07:52 PM   #38
Cwoods

Well here's what I think I've come up with. Inside the shower bottom row against the floor will be 11" tiles, all others including the top row will be full tiles and the top of the 4th course will match up with the top of the niche partition in each of the 3 niches.
Outside the shower the bottom course is 12-3/4" so I'm thinking the bottom row of the lighter shower tiles will be 8-1/2" with the remainder 4-1/4" to the floor being the Craftsman color that's going on the floor and I can carry that around as cove base where the walls are exposed around cabinets.
Hopefully that won't look odd, it will carry across the outer face if the curb (which is 4-1/4") and I have a piece of quartz that matches the corner seat cap to cap off the curb as well.
Thus is my thoughts as of now anyhow.
Attached Images

Unread 07-27-2021, 03:53 PM   #39
Just In Tile LLC

Chris it's hard for me to imagine what you have described, but from what I'm reading you are planning an accent color around the bathroom as a "base" and plan to carry that through to the front/outside of the shower as to facilitate a larger cut that would of otherwise been small if you "kept pattern" with the tile that will cover the majority of the shower walls?

If so that sounds great, I'm not sure how tall your dam is, but if I'm visualizing the space correctly I'd want the off-color to run straight through the outside dam height but of course "you can't always get what you want"
Unread 07-27-2021, 04:36 PM   #40
Cwoods

Yes Sir I think your following my poor description. The dam height is 4-1/4" across the front and I will carry the different color of the bathroom floor all the way across the face and keep that same 4-1/4" height around the bathroom perimeter.
I finagled with the side to side placement all morning here and finally set my mind to the plan lol. I looked your photos over again and realized I was thinking I was just doing a 50% stagger (told you I was green at this tiling stuff) then looked closer at your pics and was hit with..DOH!
I researched it a d understand the reasoning behind not doing that with 12x24 as well as it just don't look right anyway. I have decided on the 33% and have walked it around all walls and think it should work out fine...mabey a fudging here or there.
What worked best was srarting on the center line on the 2nd up course thus working with my 3 niches and ending up with also splitting the center line on the top row with a full tile. The rain shower head is also in that same centerline in the top row.
I have my ledger up, cardboard and plastic down and heading down to get a piece of trim for the niche boarder so I have one in my hand so I know exactly what's going on there when I get to the niches on the 4th row.
I guess I'm surprised to have such few placement options I feel good about on that back wall, I spose that's always the case and the 3 niches and corner seat didn't help my cause for my 1st shower tile.
Unread 07-27-2021, 04:46 PM   #41
Just In Tile LLC

Yeah the forcing of your hand on layout can sometimes make you feel like less of a tile professional, even more so when you bring all the options up to your client and they choose your least favorite from highlighting your skill-set. such is life.....

Sounds like you've chosen the best for your job, and like a good framer make sure you compensate for tile thickness. Looking forward to seeing the job progress with your options chosen and to hear feedback on what you learned and would change after the fact
Unread 07-29-2021, 11:15 PM   #42
Cwoods

Well I finally got underway. I did the niche cutouts as you described Justin and carried them an 1/8" over for a better trim out.
I have a question concerning the trim, I've decided to go with the Schluter Rondec on my wall outside corners. In the pics I'll be coming from the back wall to the entrance and around the outside. I would do the same as the niche and give myself a little past correct? Any tips or tricks for the trim out I'm all ears, I want to make sure the lines look nice and straight for sure. I originally had another brand of trim but really like the Schluter better as it has a built in standoff to give a 1/16" space between tile and trim.
I'm having fun with it but you guys must have knees of steel!
Attached Images

Unread 08-05-2021, 09:37 PM   #43
Cwoods

Shower floor cure time

I layer out and installed the shower floor just a little over 24 hours ago now. I used 2x2 mosiac with Tri-Lite thinset and a 1/4" square notch trowel.
I worked on the outside walls today wrapping the tile around the exterior of the entrance and I am anxious to get back into the shower and install the bottom course and face of the corner seat. How long should I wait to get back in there and put weight on the floor? I don't want to hurry it and cause problems knowing it would be pretty easy to move those little tiles around if the thinset wasn't cured....but again...IM ANXIOUS!
Attached Images

Unread 08-05-2021, 09:48 PM   #44
cx
Moderator emeritus

24 hours should be adequate, Chris. If you wanna be even more cautious, grout that floor and let that cure for another day before you start working over it. Putting plywood over the floor doesn't work well on shower floors on accounta the slope.

Or just be really careful.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 08-05-2021, 10:05 PM   #45
Cwoods

24 hours..GREAT! Good point CX, I planned on laying a couple heavy shipping blankets down and then a sheet of plywood or heavy cardboard. For some reason I figured I would grout everything at the end all at once, longer wait time to let the thinset get as hard as it can as fast as possible I was thinking?? I still have bottom course, quartz curb sill, quartz shower seat, niches and outside corners at entrance to trim keeping me busy for a spell.
Then I was going to do all my grouting and silicone before battling the bathroom floor...and of course now she wants the Master bedroom and walk in closet tiled.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase