Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-05-2021, 09:45 PM   #16
xkse

More I think about it (and the more I read posts and the Liberry), I want to build my own.

What I've gathered, is a linear drain setup is different than a traditional pre-slope / clamping drain / liner etc etc.

Is there any tutorials for a linear drain? I'd like to be cost efficient, so cement board / liquid membrane on the walls was my plan.

For the linear drain, though, I've only seen the mud pre-slope to the linear drain, then kerdi as waterproofing. Can someone lay out the process for what I've described?
Unread 03-06-2021, 05:39 PM   #17
xkse

I guess the process would be something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB2PQ4wd0Yg&t

Hoping someone can reply and lend some tips / advice for my situation.
Unread 03-07-2021, 08:34 PM   #18
xkse

So my post 2 up was wrong...I guess you can use a clamping drain or a topical drain with the linear setup.

Clamping drain on wood subfloor: standard setup, with subfloor-->tar paper/wire lathe-->pre slope mud bed-->pvc liner-->mud-->thinset/tile

Topical drain on wood subfloor: subfloor-->tar paper/wire lathe--> sloped mud bed to linear drain-->topical waterproofing (liquid based or sheet fabric based)-->thinset/tile

Am i on the right track? I'd like to hear your opinion on which linear drain style to use. The kerdi line drain is everywhere, then there are some clamping style ones on amazon, etc etc.

Curious as to your thoughts on what you would recommend and to point out any errors in my thinking.
Unread 03-08-2021, 06:52 AM   #19
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Sorry you’re not getting attention to your question. I don’t set linear drains, but many other do. Do you want to rename this thread to something more generic?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2021, 11:32 AM   #20
xkse

Yeah that probably makes sense, could you do that?

Help Building Shower Pan with Linear Drain?

And then someone could hopefully assist!

Thanks
Unread 03-08-2021, 12:28 PM   #21
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Re-named it for you, Nick, let's hope for more traction.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2021, 07:08 PM   #22
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Bump

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2021, 07:58 PM   #23
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'd rather have a traditional pan liner set up than a surface type, myself. But the surface applied membrane only needs one mud bed which helps keep the shower floor thinner for curbless applications.

I don't care for the drain in that video. It looks like there's several glue joints in the drain that are just waiting to leak. Even though it would be more expensive, I'd rather have a one piece stainless steel trough. The drain below fit into a 3 inch cast iron clamping drain.

There are different types of linear drains. Get the type that goes with the waterproofing method you plan to use.
Attached Images

www.davystephenstile.com

Last edited by Davy; 03-08-2021 at 08:18 PM.
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2021, 09:11 PM   #24
xkse

Thanks Davy

Yeah after reading through a lot of posts on this forum, I agree with you on that original video I referenced. My plan for waterproofing is either AD / Hydroban or Kerdi fabric over cement board for the walls. Haven't decided yet.

In terms of drains, do you have a link to the one in your picture? I'm not for or against either method, other than the fact that it'll be my first mud bed.

After rummaging through the forum, I found a long thread, including a post from Tiger Mountain Tile Inc on linear drains: https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...2&postcount=52

He said he preferred the ABS ones.

This is a second floor shower, and I'll build it with a curb, if that helps sway your decision either way towards which "type" of linear drain I should move towards.
Unread 03-09-2021, 04:46 PM   #25
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I don't remember what brand the drain is in that picture. The last plastic linear drain I installed was an Infinity drain. It was cheap in my opinion and wasn't made very strong. When I mudded against the plastic trough, just the weight of the mud caused the plastic to flex enough that the grate wouldn't fit. It did come with a spacer to keep this from happening which I did use but it still flexed the plastic. I ended up having to cut the grout out from against the drain and force the plastic to flex back to it's original shape. I wasn't impressed with the plastic drain.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2021, 06:33 PM   #26
xkse

Fair enough. I'll see if anyone else has some opinions on brands of linear drains, waterproofing preferences! Appreciate the opinion on the plastic linear drain.
Unread 03-09-2021, 11:09 PM   #27
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

If you’re planning Kerdi, I’d go with their linear drain as it will let you keep the whole floor buildup thinner, and it’s one less place for things to go wrong. Yes, they’re expensive, but they’re solid. And, I’d just use plain drywall on the walls, as Kerdi will work just fine, and the pieces are larger, easier to cut, and a lot less expensive. No need to tape the seams, as the Kerdi membrane will work better when applied. An alternative to cbu or drywall on the walls would be to use KerdiBoard since it’s already waterproof so you only need to treat the screws and seams to complete the waterproofing.

If your floor is flat AND level (doesn’t happen that often!) or you can make it meet those specs, you could use one of their linear drain foam pans. They’re easy to cut if oversized, and you could use KerdiBoard to build your seat.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2021, 05:48 AM   #28
xkse

Yeah that’s definitely an option I’m leaning towards. I’m in Massachusetts so Floor and Decor carries Kerdi products.

Everywhere I’ve checked for Noble and Laticrete seems to be distributors.

I’m going to go with a thin bed so one of the above 3 vendors is probably my answer. I’d like to do a price comparison but they don’t make it easy!
Unread 03-10-2021, 09:33 AM   #29
cx
Moderator emeritus

Nick, it'd be helpful if you'd add that geographic location to your User Profile. Otherwise the information will be lost before we leave this page.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2021, 10:37 AM   #30
xkse

Good point, updated!

Where do you buy noble or laticrete as a diyer??

I’m on a budget so my brain won’t let me proceed until I know all the options

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase