Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-29-2021, 05:30 PM   #106
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Stand back and look at it. If it's noticeable to your eye then you might want to change it. It's possible that it might become more noticeable as you install more tiles.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2021, 09:36 AM   #107
xkse

Thank you for the advice. I removed the tile and replaced the section of membrane instead of trying to save it as it had pulled the membrane away from the cbu in some spots and I didn’t feel like grinding down all of the extra thinset mortar.
Unread 08-11-2021, 05:37 PM   #108
xkse

Layout Advice

Hoping for some thoughts on layout...the 'gray is the back wall and bench. I've put my niche so that it lines with a grout line and is a tile high. With the 12x24 and a 1/3 stagger, i've come up with the following 4 options.
  • If I center it underneath and above the niche and double stagger them, then there will be a 4" piece on the side of the niche to keep the pattern (pic 1)
  • Triple stagger with center under the niche (pic 2) leaves the same 4" piece, but an offset above the niche
  • Triple offset, non-centered above/below the niche, leaves larger pieces next to the niche but smaller ones along the edges

What is the smallest non-whole piece you would want, and what are your recommendations for layout ? If I want to wrap it around and continue the pattern to the walls on the left and right sides, is there a point where I should just start with a whole new tile instead of using a small piece?
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase