Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 07-01-2021, 01:16 PM   #1
Brown

Pro for Self Leveling, Rochester Hills, Michigan

I am looking for a tile setter that can pour self leveling concrete for my kitchen, laundry, half bath and foyer. Approx. 500 sq. ft. I am in the Rochester hills area of Michigan. The kitchen is on a slab and needs to fill approx. 1/2 inch in the lowest spot. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Project thread for any discussion.

Last edited by cx; 07-01-2021 at 02:53 PM.
Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-01-2021, 01:20 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Jack,

Curious. Do you need to cover the entire floor or just the low spots?
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2021, 02:55 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Jack, I've put your location in your thread title and moved you to the Professionals' Hangout where you're most likely to be seen by the right people and added a link to your project thread for discussion.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2021, 11:06 PM   #4
Brown

self leveling

I guess that the whole floor would want to be covered with it being feather edged if needed at the edges of the floor. Half of the kitchen floor had vinyl flooring glued down and had to be removed by a company that created a lot of low spots in the floor with their large circular grinder. Not to mention the rough finish on the remainder of the floor is the reason that I want it to use self leveling compound. Did I mention that this a slab? I've had a few tile setters look at the floor and most want to use mud to level it out or saying that they can take out any uneven areas with thin set.

The area is 16 x 25 with part of that being a laundry and a half bath. Also a foyer and hall way complete the area. I doubt that they can get a flat and level surface that large with mud. The few tile setters that I've talked to usually admit that they don't use or have had little to no experience with self leveling and prefer to use mud.
I get that.
That's why I'm on this forum to see if anyone in my area has the ability to lay a flat floor with self leveling compound.
The floor needs to be flat and hopefully level.
I've used self leveling compound in my rather small bathroom myself and had no real problems doing it (plywood floor) .Of course I only had to mix two bags but it wasn't a big deal. Sill seal the walls, prime, lath, pour, smooth etc.. .That was over ten years ago and the floor is still in great shape.
It is a large job that's well beyond my capabilities. So, anyone?
(thanks cx)
Unread 07-04-2021, 07:26 AM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I'll bump you up here. I'm not much of a self leveling pro.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase