Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 12-31-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
zootjeff

silicon caulk application advice on Granite

Hi,

I've got a new granite counter top in my bathroom and a matching backsplash. I want to put a bead of silicone in the crack where the backsplash touches the counter, but I don't want it to be noticeable at all. Is clear silicone the right thing to use?

Also, I don't want to see a standard caulk line. I just want to fill it in the crack so no water gets in the crack. So I was thinking of two approaches.

1. Waste a bunch of time with masking tape getting it super close and then apply, rub off excess, then pull off the masking..

Or

2. Try to use a rag dipped in mineral spirits to get off everything but what goes into the crack..

This second approach has worked well for me when using latex caulk around tile, etc, but I just used water.. Will it work the same for a silicone with the mineral spirits? Will I ruin the granite? Should I be using a different gap filler?

I'm not going to do the cracks between the wall and the backsplash just yet, I want to get the main area watertight, then we'll paint..

-Jeff
Attached Images

Unread 01-01-2011, 06:37 AM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

With the clear silicone you will still see a faint black line.Water clean up won't work,i would use the small bead and tape method.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

and read this caulking tutorial

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2011, 10:51 AM   #4
zootjeff

What about using a latex sanded caulk between the granite slabs? Would that look better than clear silicone?
Unread 01-03-2011, 02:27 AM   #5
Higher Standard Tile
Tile and Stone Contractor

If you go that route go with the unsanded texture. It will be easier to install than silicone but if you get a lot of water there go with a silicone, it will hold up a lot better in a wet enviroment. If you want a color other than clear Custom and Laticrete both make 100% silicone caulks in colors that match their grouts.

I mostly seen clear used.

Did you do your own granite or did the installer not caulk that joint for you?

Higher Standard Tile & Stone
Maui, Hawaii
CTEF Certified Tile Installer #673

Maui Professional Tile & Stone Installation
Higher Standard Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 04:13 AM   #6
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Rather than mineral spirits, use denatured alcohol instead. I put mine in a spray bottle, lay down a neat bead of silicone, mist the area with alcohol and wipe away the excess. The alcohol prevents the silicone from adhering to areas which haven't made dry contact (under the neat bead is safe) and cleaning up the excess silicone is easy with your wetted finger.
If you had a textured backsplash, I'd recommend 1" masking tape instead.
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 09:27 AM   #7
Bjs2000

I hate caulking, and my wife has finally talked me into granite counter tops for the kitchen. A project that has been needed for a long time, but I have been putting it off because it is going to be a full weekend extravaganza! However, I was wondering this same thing, as I'm not good with a caulk gun and I don't want to ruin the work I've done painting or the granite! I will try and post pictures when I'm done!

How did the denatured alcohol work???

Last edited by Bjs2000; 02-02-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Bjs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

denatured alcohol is the preferred solvent as it does not effect the silicone from 'setting up'.

In the past, before I was all smart and everything, I used to use paint thinner, which dissolved the silicone so well it sometimes left it mushy and soft for weeks, until I removed and replaced it.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Guys

I always use a spray bottle with neutral cleaner or a dish soap & water mix, prior to wiping the silicone bead. I find the alcohol to work best when removing fresh smears, accidental drips, etc. The neutral cleaner stops the silicone from sticking to the surface of the stone. I also like to use my plastic caulking finger. It gets into tight spots, and leaves a very even caulk bead.

You have to remember to not keep smearing the silicone if your caulk tool or finger starts getting full of caulk. Keep wiping excess off with a paper towel.

I also prefer using colored silicones over clear for the reason Dave previously mentioned. TEC, Laticrete, and Color Rite all have colored silicones.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase