Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-14-2020, 11:12 AM   #1
dizzy2908

Archway finishing advice!!

Hello,
I am a DIYer with some tiling experience. Regarding tiling outside corners, I have done bullnose and mitered cuts. However, I have been asked to help with a project to tile a kitchen with subway tiles. There is an archway pass through. The archway will not be tiled, so my question is how to finish where the tile meets the archway. I will obviously have to cut the radius in the tile so that would negate any bullnose finishing and since the archway isn't being tiled, that would eliminate mitered joints as well. Any advice on how to finish subway tiles along an archway curve would be very helpful. I've attached an image. The white wall will be tiled, the archway that is orange will not be tiled.
Attached Images

Unread 01-14-2020, 11:20 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Dan.

It's possible to put a suitable edge on thru-body porcelain tiles or stone tile, but even that will be difficult with your curved edges.

I think you're probably limited to finding an edge profile material that is flexible enough to go around the arch and cover the tile edges.
I know Schluter makes a wide selection of profiles, some of which are somewhat flexible, but I don't recall the names of the ones that are bendable. Perhaps someone else will or perhaps you can find a selection online.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2020, 11:32 AM   #3
dizzy2908

Thank you! That's what i figured I would have to do. Thank you for confirming. I believe they are going with ceramic tile which would not give a nice edge unlike the porcelain and stone. But you are right, even with those materials it would be extremely difficult to get a smooth clean edge (for someone who doesn't do this all the time anyway). I will definitely look into the Schluter products.
Unread 01-14-2020, 01:18 PM   #4
HooKooDoo Ku

What size tile are you using?
That archway seems to be 6' to 8' wide, and doesn't have a very tight radius. If you're using 4" to 6" tile, I think approximating the archway with strait cuts on the tile will be good enough.
Unread 01-14-2020, 01:35 PM   #5
dizzy2908

Joseph,
Thanks for the reply! I am not so much worried about cutting the radius. What is concerning me more is after I cut the ceramic tile, it will have an unfinished edge that isn't glazed and/or will not be visually appealing, unlike if it was on a straight corner where I could use a bullnose tile. But you are right, that the straight cuts would be cleaner than curved cuts.
Unread 01-14-2020, 11:36 PM   #6
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Using whole tiles stood on end (sailor style) would look cool with a keystone in the center. That way all your cuts would be in the field, at the top of the whole tiles

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2020, 11:40 PM   #7
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

Or use a bullnose along the bottom edge....
Attached Images

Unread 01-15-2020, 06:39 AM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

That's what I would do. Pie shape pieces of bullnose and cut the field tiles into it.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2020, 02:58 PM   #9
dizzy2908

Thank you all for the replies! It looks like I definitely have some options. I was thinking about doing the pie shapes, but didn't know how it would look since I am not tiling the inner part of the arch (e.i. would there be little overhangs visible from the other side).
Unread 01-15-2020, 03:26 PM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

No, Dan, you could let those wedges die at the wall/arch junction with nothing at all visible from the opposite side. A little tedious, perhaps, but doable.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2020, 07:51 PM   #11
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

And we forgot to mention --- you're about to find out how uneven that arch really is.

The arch in the pictures I posted were self made, exact copies of each other. (copied from the library on the first floor)

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase