Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 09-28-2020, 04:43 PM   #1
Prerunner

Sigma 3C3M

Hi all,

just like I wrote in the introduction I’ve been lurking in this forum for quite some time trying to learn as much as I could with out asking questions. I’ve always used a big box store cutter and for my needs it’s worked well. We just bought a new house and I’ve asked the builder to leave a lot of the tiling to me, bathrooms, kitchen splash etc. So I’ve decided to buy what to me is a nice machine, the sigma 3C3M. The thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger is the fact that I can’t seem to understand why sigma wants you to push the cutter away from the fence? I’ve never tried a cutter that does this and I don’t like the fee of pull cutters. I know there are videos of guys flipping the handle around but sigma has no literature showing this. How do you guys find it to use? For those who own one... I know it’s a beauty machine and to be honest I’ve been so busy that I’m sure all I will get to this year is the kitchen back splash as I have tons of other stuff going on too so I’m not opposed to a smaller cutter as well for the time being.
thanks in advanced
Unread 09-28-2020, 04:50 PM   #2
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

Montolit and Rubi make good cutters as well if you don't like the design. I don't own that cutter but I wouldn't not buy it based on the operation. Probably take a day to get use to it.
Unread 09-28-2020, 04:59 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, MC.

I've moved your thread to the Hangout where we usually hold this sort of discussion.

If you'll type Sigma into the Advanced Search feature you'll find a number of discussions about that brand of cutter. I know there's at least one thread on the 3C2M, but I don't know about the 3C3M. I think they're similar tools, though.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2020, 05:52 PM   #4
Prerunner

Thank you CX
Unread 09-29-2020, 05:10 PM   #5
Prerunner

Does anyone have experience with turning the handle around on the sigma and “pushing” towards the fence
Unread 10-02-2020, 07:13 PM   #6
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I much prefer the push cutters to the pull. That's why I bought a Montolit instead of a Sigma

Name:  2016-12-29 14.56.16.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  40.2 KB

Why you should NOT buy a newly remodeled home ~DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2020, 06:26 AM   #7
Prerunner

I would love to buy a montolit but I’m having a hard time finding a Canadian distributor that does not want an arm and a leg. It almost seems like they are asking more than MSRP.

I would still like to hear about anyone’s experience with during the handle around on a sigma so you are pushing into the fence.
Unread 10-03-2020, 06:42 AM   #8
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

Tomecanic and Rubi are worth looking into. I think part of Sigma's deal is to differentiate itself from the competition. It looks rather close to the Montolit. My Tomecanic is heavy but when I get something the Montolit is struggling on we break it out. I like the Rubi's because of the case.

There isn't any reason I could see just changing direction of the handle would affect it's function. You might find you actually like it better the way it is setup now.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase