Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-08-2019, 05:45 PM   #1
Tj07161990

Emser tile Bullnose possible issue

Hello all,

I am new here. Getting ready to tile my shower. The wife and I picked out some 4x12 subway like ceramic tile for the walls. The tile store also offered a 3x 12” bullnose to match. I am a bit concerned about the bullnose I was given. Although it’s not a large amount I noticed a bend in all the bullnoses. The center of the bullnose is able to touch tile for a finished edge (without grout joint, just inspecting) and each end is approximately 1/32-1/16” away from unfinished edge. I have attached some photos. I have more if needed somewhat hard to capture what I am describing. I am not sure if this is typical or if I have a bad batch. Seems like it would be pretty noticeable having 7 pieces of this bullnose installed vertically with each end having 1/16” gap (for grout joint) and center touching other tile.

I reversed some bullnose to opposite side in the picture to exaggerate the error.

Finally I noticed the bullnose is about 1/16” longer in length than stand tile. That’s a bit annoying .

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

Last edited by Tj07161990; 10-08-2019 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Need to add more information
Tj07161990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-08-2019, 06:05 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Tim!

It’s not terribly uncommon to have a bow like that in ceramic bullnoses. And it’s annoying. If it’s going to be in a position that it’s easy for your eye to see the defect, I’d avoid using them. You can request to see a batch of bullnoses to see if you’ve got a lone bum tile or if they are all bowed. It’s funny, but bullnose tiles aren’t typically made at the same time as the field tile. And sometimes they aren’t even made in the same plant. Normally, bullnoses are a tiny bit shorter than the field tiles.

So, I’d check out more of those bullnoses to see what’s available. If that's a bad deal, you could always consider a metal profile edge in their place.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2019, 06:23 PM   #3
Tj07161990

Thank you for your response!

I have just purchased some q-shaped aluminum trim for the shower curb. It’s possible I buy some 90 degree adaptors for the trim and run that vertically on both sides of curb instead of these bullnoses. The 2 tiles are very close in thickness..
Unread 10-08-2019, 07:10 PM   #4
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Or you could miter the corner of the trim in lieu of a corner piece. Not a great pic but maybe you get the idea.

It's actually kinda rare for me to line up curb and wall like this, but situation dictated it.
Attached Images

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2019, 08:03 PM   #5
Tj07161990

I was just thinking about this... having trouble finding the corner pieces..

Yes, I built this custom shower and it’s my first. Now I’m realizing why so many have curbs inset..

What’s the best way to cut a clean miter on aluminum trim? Also, do you butt the corners together tight not worrying about any expansion contraction? 5 foot span..

Last edited by Tj07161990; 10-08-2019 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Grammar
Tj07161990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2019, 08:37 PM   #6
Gozo

Welcome to the forum.
On the bowing of the bullnose tiles; yup, sometimes they’re like that. On the size difference...I learned from my first big tile project that there’s more to tile sizing and matching than lot number. I used a number of different sizes and formats of the same family of tile (including bullnose) and had one box of the lot in caliber 5 while the rest were 4. Looked exactly alike, but the 5 was a scoot bigger than the 4. Try as I might to keep my lines straight, they were gradually getting further and further out of line. Figured out what was causing it, took them off, and went for the other box. Lesson learned. See if there’s a caliber sizing on the bullnose box; that may be the reason they’re a bit bigger. Depending on the supplier, you may be able to swap them out.
On the aluminum trim, I cut mine on the wet saw as I didn’t have too many cuts to make. I did have a concern about the raw edges and put some matching paint on just the raw cut ends to hopefully forestall any corrosion. Mount the miters tight against each other. Have had mine in service with daily use for close to 2 years now, pretty much right under the water stream, without any signs of corrosion or grout loosening.
Unread 10-09-2019, 01:10 AM   #7
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

I cut miters with a chopsaw and an aluminum specific blade. You need a block of something to support so it doesn't jamb up in gap on saw fence. I use board foam scraps.

I've also cut on wet saw, it's slow and not quite as precise, but doable.

As far as I know, I've never had a corrosion problem and installed many, many lineal feet of Schluter profiles in showers

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase