Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-12-2016, 06:34 PM   #1
ma740988

sunken shower

New to the forum so appreciate your patience

Goal is a curbless shower and plan is to use the Wedi solution ( base, building panels, fasteners etc)

I have a 36x36x4 sunken shower (image attached) that I plan to fill with concrete. It appears that the use of rebar and moisture barrier is considered good practice prior to pouring concrete. Should I stick with good practice or punt on the rebar and moisture barrier for such a small area?

How do I protect the exposed pipe shown in the photo prior to pouring concrete?
Attached Images

Unread 12-13-2016, 01:59 AM   #2
Kman

Welcome to the forum.

How deep is the space you're filling in? Are you wanting the base to be flush with the bathroom floor?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2016, 04:51 AM   #3
ma740988

|| How deep is the space you're filling in?
4 inches.
|| Are you wanting the base to be flush with the bathroom floor?
That's an option.

Ideally, I'd like the tile in the bathroom floor and the tile in the shower to align but I would need to factor in the thickness of the Wedi + grout + tile.
Unread 12-13-2016, 04:59 AM   #4
Kman

If the concrete is in good shape I don't see the need for rebar in this case. The new concrete would be surrounded on the sides and bottom, so there's nowhere for it to go. If there's a moisture barrier underneath, another one isn't needed.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2016, 07:20 PM   #5
ma740988

Kman ..thanks

Last question: Should I wrap the exposed pipe (right hand side of the photo ~1/3 of the way up) prior to pouring concrete?

When i pulled up the shower liner there was mold and I was surprised to see the exposed pipe. I was amazed at the poor workmanship done by the builder.
Unread 12-13-2016, 10:04 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

There's no need for the mud to go back in the wall between the studs. Nail or screw 2x10 or 2x12 blocks between the studs so that they are flush with the outside edge of the studs. Sometimes we have to notch the back side of the block if they hit the pipes.

I haven't used the Wedi base but I wouldn't mud the floor until I had the base on the job. A 3x3 shower is small, you will need some sort of door or curtain to keep the water contained inside the shower.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2017, 11:29 AM   #7
ma740988

Curbless shower

I demolished a bathroom which has a concrete subfloor and the shower pan is 38x38x4 inches deep.

I'm considering a Kerdi solution but I need to raise the shower pan in order to achieve a curbless install. Two options I could think of:

a) Mud deck + Shower tray (Kerdi shower tray is 1 1/8 inch deep)
b) Mud deck + Kerdi membrane

I scanned the internet but find no installs that allude to installing a kerdi shower tray on top of a mud deck. Of course I can't think of a reason to preclude such an install.

Given the two options what's the recommendation?

Option b) is essentially an all mud deck solution 4 inches high with preslop pitch of .25 inches per foot - at least that's my current thought based on internet research.

Also should I put a pan liner between the concrete and the mud deck given I'm using a kerdi solution?
Unread 04-14-2017, 11:36 AM   #8
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, MP

It'll help if you'll keep all your project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered.

If you need to fill the sunken portion of your foundation slab to build what you want I would certainly recommend you not use any sort of foam shower tray. Simply form the top of your mud bed to incorporate your necessary slope to drain and achieve exactly the height you need.

I believe that would be your option b.

2. No, you should use a slurry of thinset mortar or Portland cement to bond your deck mud to your concrete.

I trust you'll have a door on this shower?

Have you consulted your code compliance people about this proposed design?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2017, 11:42 AM   #9
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

CX has a point. If you're going to the effort to make a flat and level shower pan a few inches deep, Why not go the final step and make your own shower pan?

BUT

If you want to use the Wedi system, I see your point that a sunken, level base would be a nice place to plop down the Wedi pan in order to prepare for the walls to integrate into the Wedi system.

The tricky part will be getting the drain to align and for the pan to fit into the space you are working. If you can manage that, your plan is a solid one.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2017, 05:10 PM   #10
ma740988

CX, my apologies. I should have dug up my prior post (this one) and continued from there...

Received Kerdi shower tray today and tried fit checking it within the shower base. The drain is off center by 1.5 inches - which is not surprising since I've seen a few thread highlighting the drain/tray center issues

The real surprise is you have the option to break out the tray center which i find odd. In any event, I think you two have a point. I may ditch the tray (since I have to raise the base anyway with mud deck) and use the Kerdi membrane instead. This will alleviate the need to screw with plumbing (move the drain to get it centered to tray )

CX. Yes to a door and point taken on inspector. I'll try to find an inspector but I scanned the Florida building code and its vague on mud deck requirements so not sure if a 4 inch mud deck would violate code requirements.

http://www.floridabuilding.org/fbc/c...1-MATERIAL.pdf
Attached Images

Unread 04-14-2017, 06:41 PM   #11
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

No it will not void the plumbing code.

YAY on throwing the foam away.

Unread 04-14-2017, 06:56 PM   #12
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I would ditch the foam too. Foam is for coffee cups.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2017, 07:09 PM   #13
cx
Da Home Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP
...I'll try to find an inspector but I scanned the Florida building code and its vague on mud deck requirements...
If you'd put your geographic location into your User Profile so it remains visible, MP, I'd never have asked about code compliance.

It's not the thickness of the mud bed that would be in question, that's not gonna be found in any building code. It's the curbless design that I would worry about anywhere but Florida. Your code doesn't even require waterproofing if you were to use that recessed shower receptor and I doubt they even understand a question about a curbless shower. But you really should check it out before you commit, anyway. Might save you a whole lot of trouble when you get that new shower inspected. You did get a permit for the work, yes?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2017, 07:13 PM   #14
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

Since you are going kerdi + curbless, its a very good idea to take the shower floor waterproofing and extend it out onto the main bath floor at least a foot, if not the entire bath floor either ditra or in your case, kerdi

Unread 04-15-2017, 10:40 AM   #15
ma740988

Quote:
You did get a permit for the work, yes?
I filled out the form - link below and faxed it over to the permit division but a phone call led me to believe that I really didn't need a permit because I'm doing a 'repair/replace'. The big change will be the shower drain, specifically I'm using a kerdi solution versus the drain base solution with bolts.

New sink, mirror plus Kerdi ditra on the floor up the shower base.....the shower itself will have Kerdi membrane and Kerdi boards panels. All standard stuff that mainly affects drywall

I should follow with them so plan to do that Monday to determine if my form was thrown in the trash, sitting on a desk or .....

http://www.cityoforlando.net/permits...nteractive.pdf

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase