Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-02-2007, 03:40 PM   #1
chaunchy

greanboard already up, okay to follow with CBU?

Hello everyone, I am a first time DIY'er on my first time tile project. I am currently in the middle of getting the shower wall prepped for the tile. I have the moisture barrier up (6 mil) and all the sheet rock (greenboard). After sifting through this site for some tips, I realize that the sheetrock should not have been used. With out having to rip it all back down, is it okay to just throw the CBU on top of the sheet rock and move forward? I really do not want to demo again. The stack height is not an issue for me. Waddaya think?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

V.
chaunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2007, 03:51 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

You're gonna cause more harm by sandwiching the greenboard and feeding mildew with its cellulose.I'll hafta vote for a tearout,greenboard is bad material,especially with the vapor barrier i don't think you can have a mold free problem free shower if you leave it up.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:08 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

You could put up Kerdi, get it bonded well to the tub deck and not put up cbu. It isn't ideal that then you'd have two vapor barriers, but the Kerdi, properly done, is waterproof, not just a vapor barrier.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I must differ. Make sure you cover the drywall with a decent moisture barrier and then install the CBU over it. Keep in mind the most vulnerable area in a shower is down near the bottom. Make sure the moisture barrier overlaps the shower pan by a few inches.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:49 PM   #5
MudMaker
The Revolution has begun/Make America Great Again

V.
An opinion.... And you know what they're like.....
Take it out and replace with CBU.. Why make your shower that much smaller for a lifetime? Well, almost a lifetime... Ya just need to take out as far as you tile.. Above that is not in the Wet Zone.. Now I'm not dissin the Master... Jes an opinion

Well, V.
Where's ma manners? Welcome to the Forum.....
Old 04-02-2007, 05:25 PM   #6
chaunchy

You guys are all awsome. Thanks for all the advice. I'm still contemplating. I've got till Saturday to decide. It's interesting that all the suggestions are nothing alike????? It's nice to know there are options.

I love the content on the the site. I will be visiting offen in my quest to become the tile master of the universe. Once again thank you every one.

VA.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:58 PM   #7
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

If you build the shower with Kerdi, you don't have to add anything else, or tear anyything out. Watch the videos at www.schluter.com. You still have time to get the materials before saturday.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:16 PM   #8
chaunchy

okay, so the so I'm interested in the "waterproofing" aspect of the kerdi stuff.

Let me provide a bit more info on what I've got going on already (besides the greenboard). The shower area is pretty good sized (48"X87"). I already have the floor in place (preslope, liner, top layer). can I still just utilize the kerdi liner and overlap it with the shower floor liner?, or is the kerdi a part of a system where I would have to do the floor with the whole schluter system?

VAN.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:36 PM   #9
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

You should consider Kerdi a system...otherwise, you'd not be able to keep water from wicking up into the greenboard.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:22 PM   #10
sandbagger

Quote:
or is the kerdi a part of a system where I would have to do the floor with the whole schluter system?
the key element to the floor - heck, the whole Kerdi shower - is the Kerdi drain. You could certainly Kerdi the floor as it is, but the conventional drain just plain won't work. You'd actually have to demo enough of the floor to remove the drain you have and set a Kerdi drain in place and fill in the demo area.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Patrick Henry
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:33 AM   #11
Mike2

Van, I'm with Davestone on this one. The biggest problem you have is the 6 mil moisture barrier behind the greenboard. No matter which way you go from here, you will create a moisture sandwich.

The manufacturers of greenboard (a.k.a. MR board) specifically instruct not placing vapor retarders behind it.

See page 1, Limitations: http://www.nationalgypsum.com/submit...29%2000-99.pdf

Make that greenboard be gone. Tear it out down to the studs.

Last edited by Mike2; 04-05-2007 at 04:08 PM. Reason: fixed broken link
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:46 AM   #12
chaunchy

It's all gone guys. Ripped it all down and replaced with 1/2 CBU. Just couldn't live with myself knowing it was wrong. Putting up the CBU wasn't too difficult (4 holes and niche to cut around). I understand now why they only come in 3X5 sheets. The part that made easy was that now I already had a template to cut the CBU with (old greanboard).

One question (for now, more later). At the edge of the shower walls where the CBU meets the existing drywall, do I join that with the joint compound (drywall stuff) or do I use the mortar? or does it matter?

In the mean time, I've got a bench to rip back out since it should have been built INSIDE the shower pan. Man I wish I would have found this site a few days earlier. None the less, I should be happy I found it when I did.

Thanks for the help guys,

VANG
Old 04-05-2007, 12:53 PM   #13
Marge

Hi Van,

Glad to hear you ripped it out!

The rule for the joints is cbu mesh tape and thinset in a wet are and drywall compound outside a wet area.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:10 PM   #14
sandbagger

Quote:
In the mean time, I've got a bench to rip back out since it should have been built INSIDE the shower pan.
and that's another plus for the Kerdi system - it doesn't care.

the cbu/drywall transition works best if it is under a row of tile - usually the last row.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Patrick Henry
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase