Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
aeg73

HELP for designing a step down walk in shower

We would like to create a step down walk in tiled shower in our bathroom. The current space is occupied with a toilet, but no other plumbing. The foreseeable issues look like space constraints. The step down area has 2 straight side walls and the back wall is part of a very slanted/sloped ceiling with a low knee wall area below it. I was thinking of using the sloped wall for the shower head & jet accessories, but don't know if there is enough space between that area & where the glass door would be? Are there minimum spacing requirements? We could put the shower head on the flat wall if necessary. What do you recommend for shower base, pre-maid or just go with the same tile used for the shower walls? Also, do you need cement board or can you use waterproof sheet rock? Any other info. is greatly appreciated. Rough dimensions of the space are approximately: 5' wide x 7'3" deep with a very angled ceiling 45 degree angle I believe. I can stand just starting to hit my head (I'm 5') about 40" deep into the area, if that makes sense.
Thank you!

Last edited by aeg73; 03-11-2009 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Wrong Dimensions Listed
aeg73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

You don't want to use any kind of sheetrock in there unless it's covered with a moisture barrier. You don't want to stick tile directly to it.

Is this on a wood sub floor? How far down do you want it to go?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
aeg73

Needing Additional Help

I corrected my dimensions as previously listed as estimates, but they are now accurate. What is in place right now, is painted sheetrock, bamboo floors & a toilet situated in this step down area. We wanted to keep the step down, which is needed due to the slant or you would hit your head if brought to level with other part of bathroom floor. I'm afraid that cement board is so thick it will take up too much space on that 45 angled wall? Please advise.
aeg73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Read up on Kerdi, it's thin. There's a Schluter link to the right. Is this a concrete foundation or wood? The shower area is already lowered?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase