Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 01-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
sdk

Casting resin tile

I ran across a tile mold that matches some resin chair rail I have been using. Of course, I found this after installing 200.00 worth of the stuff, but I suppose better late than never. Can anyone tell me what the recipe is for making resin tiles?

I’ve googled, talked to online companies, went in and talked with a local stone shop and I *think* I’ve learned that the resin trims/ listellos are a mix of crushed stone, polyester resin, and colorant. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to find the ratio of each.

Anyone willing to share the secret to making these, please?

http://www.moldcreations.com/SIMPLE-...OLD-p/6010.htm
Unread 01-11-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
tiledood
Pronounced Leh'-Nerd Skin'-Nerd

Send a message via Yahoo to tiledood
Sorry Stephanie, I don't have a recipe for resin casting. Unless the intent is to match your existing listellos, I'd think whatever your mix is, as long as it's durable and doesn't kill your mold will be perfect. The site from the link you posted mentioned something about formulas being available through a search engine- I just checked all my usual search links and didn't find anything either. Maybe an e-mail to the site will help? If your primary interest is in manufacturing and reselling listellos, the plaster press mold clay process is a real low tech, inexpensive method of production. Once it's set up, the biggest cost factor is the energy consumed in the firing process. Plaster press molds are pretty easy to make and of all my many insane hobbys- this was one of the coolest. For a definitive introduction to the process, I highly recommend Donald E. Frith's book "Mold Making for Ceramics". If the used editions (Amazon or E-bay) don't include the shrink compensation calculator, (Paper slide thingy) I'd buy it new. If I remember right, a weight mix ratio card was included too. Not really what you asked for but hopefully it helps.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase