Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 01-11-2008, 08:05 AM   #1
tilerite

New Truck Help

My lease on my 2004 Avalanche is almost up and it looks like I'll going back to a crew cab pickup, which offers me better lease options than the Avalanche. The Avalanche was a great truck for being able to convert from a work vehicle to a family travel vehicle so cab size remains one of the biggest issues in choosing a new truck.
In terms of brand, I have purchased Chevy trucks exclusively, for the last 25 years, but I no longer feel the sense of loyalty I once had towards Chevy and GM. I will not buy a Dodge under any circumstance and I really do not like the Fords so it would seem that my three choices lie between the Toyota Tundra, the Nissan Titan and a Chevy Silverado.
All three are quality vehicles and in side by side ratings, they are all pretty equal though there are pros and cons to each. Cabin size and comfort is important as is quality of drive drive train. Since most of my work is remodels, I do not require a heavy duty vehicle or 4 wheel drive.
I appreciate any opinions and comments you might have. I'll be checking out the Tundra this afternoon. Thanks.
tilerite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-11-2008, 08:11 AM   #2
HS345
Tile Contractor

Hi Rick, I can't offer any advice on the three trucks you are considering. But I myself am considering a Toyota Tundra. Please let us know how the test drive goes willya?

Thanks.
Unread 01-11-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
TravisFling
The Lender, DIY-er...

I've own a Z71 Chevy and my best friend has a Tundra, and we got them right around the same time... I made fun of him a lot, but I've got to say... that truck is pretty bad... It's really nice, it runs great and seems to be holding up a lot better than my Chevy, which is only an '06. I'm becoming a big fan and my next truck will probably be a Tundra. My other buddy had a Nissan Titan and it was junk. He ended up trading it for a loss probably a year and a half after he bought it, plus Nissan isn't very good about taking care of people. At least here in Oh.. I had a problem with my 350Z and went all the way up to the north american exec VP of consumer affairs, Doug Betts, and he just said, too bad. I will never buy a Nissan again, just because of that.

Let's get down to business, so we can get back to the business of getting down...
TravisFling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 08:16 AM   #4
TravisFling
The Lender, DIY-er...

Hey Greg!!! Get the Tundra!!! I've got a guy at a Toyota Dealer down here, if you need someone on the inside!!!

Take care,

Let's get down to business, so we can get back to the business of getting down...
TravisFling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 08:32 AM   #5
tilerite

I've been reading as much as I can dig up on the three vehicles. The Toyota's are actually made in America and employ American workers, so the old "buy American" mantra, works as well for Toyota as it does for Chevy. I'm looking forward to driving the Toyota Tundra today. I'll let you know how it goes. I just love a good "truck" debate.
Unread 01-11-2008, 08:52 AM   #6
John Corley

Did you see what I got for Christmas?

My vote goes for the Tundra hands down !

And it was made in Texas.
Unread 01-11-2008, 08:52 AM   #7
HS345
Tile Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
Hey Greg!!! Get the Tundra!!! I've got a guy at a Toyota Dealer down here, if you need someone on the inside!!!
I'll definitely let you know when I'm ready, thanks for the tip.

Who doesn't love a good truck debate, it's a welcome break from debating politics, eh.

My wife drives an '04 Toyota Sienna. It has been a good vehicle overall, a couple of small problems, but nothing with the drive train.

In fact it's in the shop right now, has a prob with the driver's door hinge. Toyota issued a "warranty extension" instead of a recall, so it won't cost us anything, and they gave her an '08 Camry to drive in the mean time. Funny thing is she doesn't care for the Camry, and can't wait to get her minivan back.

Yes John, I did see, and I hate you. Just kiddin', nice freakin' truck lucky dude.
Unread 01-11-2008, 09:16 AM   #8
MudMaker
The Revolution has begun/Make America Great Again

I know you need the vehicle for family too but I have a Ford E-350 that was my FIL's and man, for keeping stuff dry and handy, it can't be beat.. Plus you have access from side and rear.
If I were to get another pickup, I believe I'd go with the others and get the Tundra.. This coming from a GM employee of 33 years and who gets a GM discount.....

John's new truck.. Check out the shorts..
http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57434
Sorry John, couldn't pass it up...
Unread 01-11-2008, 09:44 AM   #9
jvcstone
Stone Carver

I've always had great service from ford trucks, but if I were after a new Pickup, I'd be looking real hard at a Tundra--Toyota reputation in a monster of a truck.

JVC

-- John VanCamp
we should not accept something as true until it has been officially denied!
jvcstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 11:17 AM   #10
sandbagger

Quote:
Toyota reputation in a monster of a truck.
you mean this reputation?

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...ta_engine.html
OR
http://www.petitiononline.com/TMC2003/petition.html

don't mean to throw cold water on the Toyota love-in (and the above may have no relation to trucks), but ALL the car companies have their problems.

This oil problem is very real, btw, and so is Toyota's denial. But it looks like they've settled anyway - finally.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...ettlement.html

knowledge is power.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Patrick Henry
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 11:30 AM   #11
HS345
Tile Contractor

Definitely food for thought Art, thanks. I did not know that.
Unread 01-11-2008, 11:40 AM   #12
Scooter
Remodeler -- Southern Cal.

I'm a big guy. 6-6 and 250; I've driven the Jap trucks you mentioned and I don't fit, so they could be the greatest trucks in the world, and I wouldn't drive one if it was free.

The Chevy has about 2 inches more of leg and body room.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 11:57 AM   #13
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

Hey Guys,

I've owned Ford, Chevy, (never a Dodge), and Toyota. I drove the Tundra and honestly it was too nice inside. Didn;t want to mess it up with thinset. The motor was solid but I was a little bothered by the visibility. It seemed to have a blindspot on the right side near the crew cab door.

Anyway, I just bought an 07 Tacoma a few months ago. Nice truck, quite a bit of room, and the price was pretty good too. Long story short, just traded it for a loss. That truck would barely carry my tile saw w/o bottoming out when you hit a bump. Veeeerrryyy weak springs. The there was the wind noise on the windshield that was horrible @ about 70 mph.

Traded for an '07 Z71 Chevrolet. It's early but I really like the truck. Plenty of room, power, and the price was good as well

Just don't think I'll buy another toyota truck for awhile. Wife had a 4runner though that was a good vehicle.

Jason
Unread 01-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #14
Westie
Engineer -- Alberta

Quote:
That truck would barely carry my tile saw w/o bottoming out when you hit a bump. Veeeerrryyy weak springs.
I have a Tacoma as well. All you have to do is take it too the dealer and they will replace the 3 leaf springs with a 4 leaf pack. No charge. Rides and hauls more like a truck now.
Westie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #15
tilerite

Quote:
I'm a big guy. 6-6 and 250; I've driven the Jap trucks you mentioned and I don't fit, so they could be the greatest trucks in the world, and I wouldn't drive one if it was free.
I don't know what Toyota you drove but the ones I drove today were roomier than any Chevy truck I ever owned.

For a while there, I thought I was going to be able to post that I am the proud owner of a spanking new Toyota but unfortunately, the lease numbers were nowheres close to the Chevy lease programs, so I'm still driving the Avalanche, which has four months left on the lease.

I must say though, I was highly impressed with the Tundra Crewmax, which was huge on the inside. We drove two models, one that had a 4.7 liter motor that was a bit short on power and one that had the more potent 5.7 liter.

Both models rode about as smooth as the Chevy's. The biggest difference between the Toyota and the Chevy is, the Toyota is more comfortable and more user friendly than the Chevy. Some neat options; rear electric window, adjustable rear seating, and more storage space than any vehicle I have ever driven.

If I was purchasing, the Toyota would win hands down but Chevy has much better leasing deals which will ultimatley put me back in a Chevy.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase