Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-05-2019, 08:26 PM   #1
bajpga

Wedi Board and Hardibacker

Hello,
Ive got an alcove tub bathroom renovation underway. Ive already used Hardibacker for two walls in the tub area. However, for the wall that will have the niche, I've realized an issue with using Hardibacker. I'd like the upper and lower perimeter lines of the niche to perfectly align with the spacing between subway tiles, but I don't know an easy way to measure and ensure this will happen after cutting the hardi and fabricating the niche. So I thought I would use Wedi board for the niche wall. That way I could tile up to the desired niche height and easily cut out the wedi board, construct the niche, waterproof it correctly and continue tiling. Im going to use fiberglass mesh tape and Redguard, or another liquid membrane, on the hardi walls for waterproofing.
So my question is how do I waterproof between the Hardi and Wedi in the vertical corners of the alcove?

Thank You
Unread 12-05-2019, 09:32 PM   #2
Kman

Welcome back, John.

There's no approved method for what you're doing. It's something that you, we, or anyone else would just have to make a best guess and run with it.

If it were mine, I'd probably use mesh tape and mud in that corner and at least two inches on either side. So you'll need tape that is at least 4" wide. Then I'd continue the waterproofing around the corner for at least two inches.

Another idea might be to use a strip of waterproof membrane in place of all the above.

Again, it's just an educated guess, and there's been no testing to determine if either of those methods would work.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2019, 07:31 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

You could lay out a good section of tiles on the floor over some butcher paper. Take care to properly space all the tiles. Then transfer the joint locations in both the X and Y axis. Then use that up against the wall to transfer your lines. That would allow you to locate the niche and locate the tiles.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2019, 09:22 AM   #4
bajpga

Thank you K Man and Tool Guy for the feedback. Regarding using the Wedi for the niche wall, here’s my logic for waterproofing between the two.
1. The Hardi will be completely finished prior to the installation of the wedi wall. So the seams will be mesh taped and thinset applied, then the wall treated with Redgard to specs.
2. Install the Wedi on the adjoining wall using the Wedi caulk to seal the joint between the Wedi and the Redgard treated Hardi.
My logic is the Wedi caulk should stick like glue to the Redgard and completely seal the joint between the two substrates.
I would appreciate if someone could weigh in on this and let me know if this process would work.
Thank You
Unread 12-07-2019, 02:03 PM   #5
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I would rather see you use Wedi board throughout but if you want to "redneck engineer" it then I think I would use Wedi fabric on that corner between the Hardi and Wedi.

https://www.masterwholesale.com/wedi...ling-tape.html

New DIYTileGuy blog post: What everyone wishes they knew about Self-Leveling Underlayment
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2019, 03:00 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

Or just use Hardiebacker and RedGard for the whole thing.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2019, 10:16 PM   #7
ded dux

Or could Wedi the back wall and use Wedi subliner dry over the hardie and overlap onto the Wedi.
Unread 12-15-2019, 07:44 PM   #8
bajpga

Thanks CX and Don for the input.
I decided to stay with the Hardibacker. I was going to use Redgard, as it’s easiest to acquire. However I want to use what is best over Hardi. Any preferences for using Redgard, Mapei or the Laticrete liquid membrane?
Thanks

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase