Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-08-2019, 05:03 AM   #1
baum

glass tile saw blade?

I will be doing a backsplash project where im using the olympia "linen" style glass tile.

Can the pros recommend a 7" blade for glass tile? Hopefully something that is easily available and doesnt chip the glass easy.

The tile is 2" x 6" (on a 12" x 12" sheet) would a scorer work with glass tile also?

Also what is a good thinset to use with glass tile?

Thanks.

Last edited by baum; 07-08-2019 at 05:22 AM.
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-08-2019, 06:33 AM   #2
Radas
Tile Newbie

Montolit CPV is the only blade I'd recommend for glass. They make a 7" variant and it is sold on tools4flooring and a few other sites. Glass chipping is not always preventable but can be mitigated with a high quality blade and proper technique.

A glazier's tool will work as well although I've experienced poor results from lack of experience.

You'll want a highly modified thinset that is white in color for glass application. I've used Mapei's glass tile mortar (small bags) or Custom's Flexbond for glass with great results. Remember to get 100% thinset coverage behind your glass tile or sheet to prevent issues.

..a new excuse to hoard tools
Radas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2019, 09:21 AM   #3
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

I reccomend laticrete 254 platinum. Read my horror story. Good saw tuning is important plus you need to break in the blade. Maybe 30 feet of cutting to knock off the bigger diamonds. Or may be cut bricks? With a plunge saw you can score both sides. Some glass tiles suggest taping and it helps.
Unread 07-08-2019, 06:56 PM   #4
Lou_MA

Laticrete Glass Adhesive.

254 would work, but that can turn into an ordeal very quickly if there’s any excess thinset in the grout joints. It’s very sticky, and cures very, very hard. Good traits, but if you’ve missed any thinset when you’re setting and have to clean it next day, there’s a risk of chipping tiles.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase