Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-03-2019, 06:08 PM   #61
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Don't be afraid to add several coats if needed. The flatter and smoother you get it, the easier the tiling will be.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2019, 10:33 PM   #62
Kiva

Send a message via AIM to Kiva
Paper faced glass mosaic installation - some questions

ah, ok. That makes sense. Do I care about the inside corners much as far as being perfect or just avoid build-up?

Do I want to try and build up the damaged corners or just do that with thinset when setting quarter round?

Last edited by Kiva; 11-04-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Kiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2019, 07:38 AM   #63
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
IMO, the inside corners don't need to be perfect, but you will want to avoid too much build up. Since you're setting quarter round I'd probably want the damaged corners pretty tidy. The QR's just don't have much surface area and you're not going to have a thick layer of mortar to bed them in to make up for inconsistencies.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2019, 10:00 AM   #64
Kiva

Due to the tight quarters, I've just been using a 4 or 2" putty knife to apply. I'm not screeding or anything. Is that the correct method?
Unread 11-04-2019, 12:09 PM   #65
ss3964spd

Whatever it takes, Matt, so long as you end up with a reasonably flat and smooth surface.
Unread 11-07-2019, 12:57 PM   #66
Kiva

I've got a couple of coats on there and it's looking pretty good. I was able to re-build a couple of lost corners, but some areas that's going to be very difficult. Should I go through the effort of actually doing some sort of form board and re-create corners or, when installing, use thin set to build up?

Things got significantly better even after the 2nd coat, so thank you for that guidance.

I'l post about the deco tile next as that's screwy. The product has switched (of course) and I'll have some clarification questions..
Unread 11-07-2019, 09:12 PM   #67
Kiva

So it is looking like I'm going to be solo in doing the niche and then the main area floor + bullnose tile. We are calling around to get on a competent pro's schedule but, in the meantime, I'll be researching to see if I want to do the whole thing.

For the niche:

(2) Should I just post a diagram of the niche and tile layout so I know exactly what I'm doing, the types of cuts, etc.? It would seem not that difficult to draw something up and get input so there are no surprises and it doesn't look like craaaap.

and/or

(3) the information I need is in the bathroom remodel book for sale here and I should purchase that and read up for my answers.

thoughts? Thank you for your patience. This is what happens when somebody who talks and writes for a living tries to do this stuff.
Unread 11-08-2019, 08:39 AM   #68
ss3964spd

2) A diag and photos will help folks here offer their input/opinion on layout. Be sure at least one pic includes enough of the surrounding area for context.

3) The book is a goldmine of useful information and will provide a solid base. But it can't cover every scenario so feel free to keep asking questions here, Matt.
Unread 11-11-2019, 12:48 PM   #69
Kiva

Hi Folks

Is there a method for building up the most messed up corners in the niche? Like tape some sort of form board with a paint stick or something? It just seems impossible to get it in plane with the rest of the surface...
Unread 11-11-2019, 01:36 PM   #70
ss3964spd

You talkin about where the wall makes the 90* turns (top, bottom, left, right) into the niche, Matt, or the interior corners?
Unread 11-11-2019, 02:02 PM   #71
Kiva

Foam niche corners that were damaged.

Let me know if that picture is no good and I can take a closeup.
Unread 11-11-2019, 04:47 PM   #72
Kiva

sorry, yes, where the field tile ends and turns into the niche. The interior corners are fine, i think.
Unread 11-11-2019, 04:54 PM   #73
ss3964spd

I keep forgetting you're working around already installed wall tile.

I think I'd fill in shallow areas with some mortar, mixed a bit thick, and let it set up for an hour or so to let it skin over and stiffen up. Then use a cut to length flat, square edge 1X3 and press it against the mortar. With the mortar skinned over it should stick to the board but still soft enough to shape. If you hold the board against the edge you may be able to reach around it and strike off the mortar from inside the niche with a small putty knife.

You don't need sharp, square edges, just something reasonably close.

Last edited by ss3964spd; 11-11-2019 at 05:03 PM.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase