Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-24-2019, 11:04 AM   #151
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Profiles can be used instead of caulk at changes of plane if they meet your design perspective.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2019, 12:04 PM   #152
gslenk

I think this is the best I got in me. Is it passable? If not, I'm just gonna cut it again except butt the curb up against the wall tile (much easier hidden notch to cut).
Attached Images

Unread 07-24-2019, 12:16 PM   #153
gslenk

Here it is with the curb mocked up. If someone did this for you would they have to do it again? almost a perfect 1/8" gap all around. Slope didn't come out perfect, so a hair under 1/8 on the right top side, hair over 1/8 on the top left. For some reason, I am thinking a butting the curb would look better.
Attached Images

Last edited by gslenk; 07-24-2019 at 12:30 PM.
gslenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2019, 01:10 PM   #154
Radas
Tile Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslenk View Post
Here it is with the curb mocked up. If someone did this for you would they have to do it again? almost a perfect 1/8" gap all around. Slope didn't come out perfect, so a hair under 1/8 on the right top side, hair over 1/8 on the top left. For some reason, I am thinking a butting the curb would look better.
Looks good to me. Reminds me of the ones in my shower, I had to make a few test pieces and wasted a tile or two.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

..a new excuse to hoard tools
Radas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2019, 01:13 PM   #155
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Now you know why I do it last...

I understand the reasoning for caulk in vertical plane, but I don't think my clients would know the difference unless I pointed it out. FWIW, I'd do it last on my own shower. I make the joints small.

Same tile different job.
Attached Images

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2019, 01:36 PM   #156
speed51133

I just made the curb without an overhanging lip. The sides of the granite slab on the curb were even with the tiles below. Made for cutting everything easier and looks fine.
Unread 07-24-2019, 02:07 PM   #157
gslenk

If the T shape was cut into two tiles I might be more inclined to give it another shot. I guess the upside is there is a slightly smaller footprint overall for caulk, even if it is on a more visible plane.
Unread 07-24-2019, 08:42 PM   #158
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Lenny,

The cut looks great! Put it in the win column and move on.
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2019, 08:49 AM   #159
gslenk

Thanks, but something just didn't feel 'right' about it. I went with butting up the curb top against the wall.

How do ya'll deal with long stretches of Schluter profile? Thinset the full length onto the wall, and then comb in the extra tile thinset? Or nail the rondec up?
Attached Images

Unread 07-25-2019, 01:12 PM   #160
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

On corners like that, I'll fit first, then stab a 4d nail or two up high and hang profile on that. I drive them at an angle and just far enough to hold so I can pull out later. Get the profile close to finished position.

Next I'd start at the bottom, use a margin trowel and schmear some thinset over profile(s) through the holes and butter the wall some in between. In your case I'd have all those tiles cut, then comb the backs to set and adjust profile as I go. I'll use a piece of tile or some straight edge to flush with adjacent surface. After a few courses I'll wiggle the nails out and tile on!

They'll hold position well after a couple of courses , but don't wait too long to adjust if needed. If I'm not mistaken, Schluter wants the backs of profiles buttered, which has never worked for me and honestly, I don't see a good reason to develop a methodology. Once mortar sets, they are locked in place in a big way.

I've tried tape and a few other ways it seems like, and this works the best for me. It's like Weebles, they'll wobble but they won't fall down and the nail hole is above any point of concern.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2019, 01:56 PM   #161
Radas
Tile Newbie

I've used a hot glue gun, just don't hold the tip of the gun against the waterproofing membrane for too long. I've also secured with a few dabs of kerdifix.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

..a new excuse to hoard tools
Radas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2019, 02:59 PM   #162
Gozo

I’ve done it much the same way as Peter. Being a DIY guy and on my first Kerdi job, I didn’t want to put any nails in it at all. Used tape to hold ‘em in place and tiled right up. Once it got a few rows in, it was well fixed and didn’t need tape to keep it in place, but I used it anyway so I would sleep easier. I’m slow, so did it over more than one mortar session. Did squish some mortar under the legs of the trim as able as I went along. Came out straight as an arrow and 100% solid.
Attached Images

Last edited by Gozo; 07-25-2019 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Stupid autospeller...
Gozo is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2019, 11:20 AM   #163
gslenk

FINALLY ready to grout/caulk!

I got spectralock in silver shadow and midnight black, with matching unsanded laticrete acrylic caulk. Should I find sanded caulk instead, or latisil? I think I may have gotten blind sided, I thought there was only one laticrete caulk

I am going to grout all in-plane joints, and plan to caulk all wall-plane changes, and wall/floor joints.

Niche:
It is a wedi prefab, so I am thinking grout is OK in there, and should last longer than caulk? Or is that a caulk change of plane deal in there?

Curb:
Has tons of angles, I guess everything is getting caulk?

Also, general order of operations (assuming where grout only is going):
Walls (silver) first top to bottom, including (or excluding?) niche. Then the trim in black, including around the niche, then curb (if there are any parts to grout) then finally the floor in black.

Also this little joy of a piece of tile, not too sure what to do where (picture with the words caulk and grout all over it)
Attached Images

Last edited by gslenk; 07-27-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Unread 07-27-2019, 01:30 PM   #164
makethatkerdistick

I would definitely get the Latasil and avoid acrylic caulks at all cost in wet areas. Or get a sanded silicone caulk that's color-matched. I have the regular Latasil in my shower (incidentally, I chose silver shadow as well). It is a bit shinier than the grout but it doesn't bother me at all. Especially, when the shower is wet, nobody will notice.

I would only grout at changes of plane where there is no Schluter profile. Profiles that introduce changes of plane should be grouted.
Unread 07-27-2019, 01:49 PM   #165
gslenk

OK so grout both sides of the schluter profile corner?

Anyone wanna weigh in on the niche and which parts of the curb would get grout if any?

I have some waste/cured spectralock, I cut a few thin strips from, it seems a little flexible before it snaps, if that helps.

Last edited by gslenk; 07-27-2019 at 02:14 PM.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase