Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-07-2019, 10:45 PM   #1
Shaklee3

Professional Quality Question

Hi, I'm posting this for a neighbor that just had an upstairs hallway retiled by professionals. Picture album is here:

https://ibb.co/album/k41LJv

To me it seems like there are several issues with it:

1) high lippage in some spots
2) weird pattern where tile edges are too close for tiles that large
3) some large grout lines where there should have been more tile.
4) uneven grout joints

Hopefully the pictures are clear enough, but I'm hoping to just get an idea of whether other professionals would have considered this okay or not. Thanks!
Unread 07-08-2019, 06:38 AM   #2
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

I think it does have some issues. The sliver cut and non parallel line at the stairs tells me the guy didn't calculate things very well for the best layout first. Then It looks like he didnt want to cut a small tapered slice .Or maybe he had other sliver areas to worry about? it's common to check for parallel lines and then decide where you need to make that taper etched lineup and not next to a staircase without any base molding and you don't use a thin slice right there The small piece under the door jamb. The casing and door jamb cut high. That slippage looks like a toe stub? The guy didnt have his saw cutting square.
Unread 07-08-2019, 06:54 AM   #3
Radas
Tile Newbie

The installer was too lazy to undercut the door jamb or cut the tile around the door jamb (both pretty easy to do), I would at the very least ask that this tile be replaced. The one with lippage looks pretty bad too. Is that missing grout in one of the pictures?

..a new excuse to hoard tools
Radas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2019, 07:05 AM   #4
Shaklee3

Yeah, it's harder to tell in that picture, but that one particular tile has almost no space between it, so the grout line is almost nothing. The other thing I forgot to mention is he didn't remove the base boards before starting, so the tile is butted up against those instead of under.

The other concern I had was this is quite a large amount of tile where carpet previously was. It's probably too late now, but I'd there a way to be certain that subfloor could handle the weight?

Ali, can they really replace tiles that easily? Seems like it would rip up the cement board.
Unread 07-08-2019, 07:32 AM   #5
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

I was going to add. Sometimes the installer will mention that there is a unlevel floor and baseboards are best taken off and homeowners don't want to go into that expense or delay or can of worms. Baseboards can break they can be hard to match the profile you need to repaint the baseboard and sometimes some or all of the wall. It could have been the low bid. If a homeowner isn't educated in these things the conversation doesn't happen. Was the installer a quality guy or thinking about $/ hour
Overall in life this is a minor issue.

PS. I have seen some tile installations with the baseboards left on and a nice grout line around there can look pretty decent in fact my bathroom toilet room has that
Unread 07-08-2019, 01:10 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Even though it makes a nice neat look, baseboards don't have to be removed. It is a good idea to either leave the joint open and add shoe mold or caulk the joint against the base.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2019, 03:41 PM   #7
Fast eddie part deux

Looking at picture 41 ... nice random layout.
The floor is almost certainly strong enough to support the tile. The question is ... is it stiff enough. Will thefloor flex or bounce, causing the tiles to come loose.
Unread 07-08-2019, 06:07 PM   #8
Radas
Tile Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaklee3 View Post
Yeah, it's harder to tell in that picture, but that one particular tile has almost no space between it, so the grout line is almost nothing. The other thing I forgot to mention is he didn't remove the base boards before starting, so the tile is butted up against those instead of under.

The other concern I had was this is quite a large amount of tile where carpet previously was. It's probably too late now, but I'd there a way to be certain that subfloor could handle the weight?

Ali, can they really replace tiles that easily? Seems like it would rip up the cement board.
Tile can definitely be replaced. The sooner it's removed, the easier it is to remove. I wouldn't worry too much about your cement board, a section of that can also be replaced if need be.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

..a new excuse to hoard tools
Radas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2019, 07:14 AM   #9
Metropolitan Ceramics

Those grout joints are too tight for that size of tile. Opening them up to 3/16" would have made for a much nicer look overall, the differences in the tiles could have been minimized.
Unread 07-15-2019, 06:29 PM   #10
Karls tile Inc
Tile and stone contractor Tile setter

Butchered for sure! Some of it looks ok but I think they got lucky. The cut around the door jamb is a tell tale sign of the installers not being professionals. We are not all like these installers. Terrible and good luck to your friend.

Karlstile.com
Karls tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase