Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 03-07-2020, 08:29 AM   #1
RichVT
Vermont Remodeling Contractor

New Spectralock 1 Grout

All the benefits of epoxy in a one part premixed grout. Sounds too good to be true but maybe it is. It does have a longer cure time than epoxy.

https://laticrete.com/en/tile-and-st.../spectralock-1

Sal DiBlasi video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KAZNf0UDhk
Unread 03-07-2020, 10:48 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Interesting. Looks like a competitor for MAPEI's Flexcolor CQ and Custom's Fusion Pro. A bit difficult to compare just reading the data sheets, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laticrete Features & Benefits
outperforms traditional premixed grouts currently available on the market.
As far as I know there's still no industry standard for those "single component" grouts, so I'm not sure just what a "traditional premixed grout" is and just how this new guy outperforms them.

It does not appear to have the restrictions against use in submerged applications or in steam showers, though, so that would differentiate it from both other single component grouts with which I'm familiar. Might be that this really is a new and improved product, but it's a bit early to say.

Unlike in the old days we'll (TYW) probably not rush out to buy a bucket to test, but I'll be curious to see how our members like it, 'specially those who have already used the other two "single component" grouts out there.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2020, 11:05 AM   #3
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

It could be a game changer or not. Remember how many changes to the formulation Spectra Loc Epoxy went through. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2020, 02:30 PM   #4
rmckee84

Talked to a few people that did the trials before it hit the market and they all said it was nice to work with.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2020, 04:13 PM   #5
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

As Laticrete was the Company that first invented (or set up) latex modified morter...many years ago, I tend to trust their research and technology. If it wasn't right, I doubt they would release it. I would have zero problems trying out anything they put on the market.....

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2020, 11:21 AM   #6
HS345
Tile Contractor

I am not a fan of the single component grouts. I will likely not be using this product, but would hope that any of you who do would review it here.
Unread 03-08-2020, 05:29 PM   #7
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Some of the newer single component grouts are excellent. One is the Flexcolor CQ

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2020, 12:02 PM   #8
Metropolitan Ceramics

I saw the 'coming soon' at Laticrete's Total Solutions booth and have seen some advertisements for it. Laticrete has tried a couple of times to get into the 'ready-to-use' segment (Plasma was their swing and a miss a few years ago). I worry that using the Spectralock name is going to get confusing since there really are advantages to epoxy that a one-component product isn't going to fully match. I'll be curious to see what your experience actually is with the product, I'm sure a lot of R&D went into it.
Unread 03-09-2020, 07:41 PM   #9
Karls tile Inc
Tile and stone contractor Tile setter

I was just going to point out how Laticrete Plasma was discontinued due to problems. I used it a couple backsplashes and it seemed fine.
I have used Mapei Flex color CQ in my own main floor and really liked it.
I hope to try this new product from Laticrete.

Karlstile.com
Karls tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2020, 07:52 AM   #10
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I'm in my usual spot of being in the middle (We sponsor Laticrete, Mapei and Custom). I'll agree with Dan Marvin, though, in that Laticrete has probably done a thorough testing of the product. I won't be attending Coverings this year, so I won't have my usual opportunity to get up close and ask a bunch of questions.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2020, 07:24 AM   #11
Sharon @ LATICRETE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz
As Laticrete was the Company that first invented (or set up) latex modified morter...many years ago, I tend to trust their research and technology. If it wasn't right, I doubt they would release it. I would have zero problems trying out anything they put on the market.....
I believe this formula went through over 10,000 iterations in 7 years in our lab before we released it. You bet it's been through the ringer with testing! I encourage all of you to try it and test it for yourselves.

Another great benefit of this grout is that for those who are allergic to epoxy in general, this grout does NOT have the epoxy resins in it (however has the performance of epoxy), so it can be used by those with allergies.

As with any product we always recommend the the proper use of PPE.
Unread 03-14-2020, 11:42 AM   #12
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

They've hyped this up a lot and are putting the Spectralock name on it. So far, their versions of premixed grout have been underwhelming, to say the least, but this new one sounds promising.

They're saying "epoxy performance" with a premixed grout. The video I saw shows that it's much harder than Fusion or Flexcolor. Does harder = better? It might.

Curious how the new Delta Cruzer tile saw stacks up against Dewalt? Check out the full review and video on DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2020, 01:28 PM   #13
Mr_Stop
Home Remodeler

I like the Mapei Flexcolor CQ quite a bit and has become my go-to. It is so much easier than bagged grout, you pretty much just open the container and go. No having to get your water ratios just right, don't have to mix-slake-mix and clean your bucket in between batches. The premixed stuff is a huge time saver for this solo guy.

I have been considering using the Spectralock 1 on my current job to see how it compares.
Unread 03-18-2020, 06:15 AM   #14
Mr_Stop
Home Remodeler

Just got a quote on a gallon from my distributor. It was almost 2x Mapei Flexcolor CQ, which I thought was already at a premium.

I'm hoping the price my distributor quoted is high because it is currently special order. Maybe it will come down as a normally stocked item?
Unread 03-20-2020, 08:48 AM   #15
makethatkerdistick

If it's that expensive, I really don't see the benefit over the traditional two-part epoxy or the existing one-part grouts.
A lot of these products are driven by convenience. It's not that hard to mix the three parts of the traditional Spectralock.

This discussion reminds me of the selection of various wood staining products. You can do the one-does-it-all product and get a blotchy stain pattern. Or you can buy the pre-stain, stain and polyurethane finish coat. Three steps that take more application and drying time but will always result in a better finish that pops. Or one step and a meh/good-enough finish. Most people will be happy with the latter, especially if they're doing it themselves.

I am curious to learn about actual experience with this new Laticrete product, though. Chances are it will be good.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase