Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-01-2008, 06:52 PM   #1
rusty

prepping shower for marble installation + finishing marble edges

hi all,

i've got my tub/shower stall ripped out to the studs. before i start my marble installation, i had a couple questions:

1) what is the recommend backing for marble? drywall over studs, then hardibacker/cementboard? does that differ for the ceiling?

2) as my tile does not have a matching bullnose piece available, what are my options for the edges of the shower wall? I assume whatever backer i end up putting over the drywall will raise the tiles some, plus the thinset...and you end up with a very raised unfinished look at the edges of the shower. how do you guys usually handle this when you install a marble/granite/travertine shower?

thanks
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-01-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
Mike2

Rusty, there really isn't any need to place backerboard over drywall. Inside the shower, place a moisture barrier down on the studs first, either 15# building felt or 4 mil + poly sheeting. Then 1/2" backerboard over that. Outside the shower area, transition to 1/2" drywall. As such the tile will be set flush with the painted surface.

Marble is a relatively soft material and easy to bullnose with hand tools and sand paper alone. Take a look at the Bullnose thread in the Liberry for tips on how to do that. Come back here with any questions of course.

Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2008, 07:53 AM   #3
rusty

thanks for the help, will definitely look into that bullnose thread

cheers
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase