Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-01-2019, 05:27 PM   #16
Old_Smokey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 12-01-2019, 05:45 PM   #17
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

What's underneath the Redgard, I'm talking about the upper part of the niche?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2019, 05:48 PM   #18
Old_Smokey

Half inch Wonderboard Lite screwed into a 2x4
Unread 12-01-2019, 05:49 PM   #19
Old_Smokey

Is it acceptable to trowel mortar and embed another piece of 1/2" wonderboard lite, or even two, to drop the ceiling an inch?

I am open to peeling the redgard back and grinding the thinset from taping back a bit, but I'm not sure I would get enough clearance from that. It's a good taper from left to right.
Unread 12-01-2019, 05:55 PM   #20
jerrymlr1

I would cut into the 1/2" wonderboard. If you have to you could remove it and replace it with 1/4. Your other lines are perfect so dropping the upper grout line would be my last choice and only with white grout. You have black grout so I would go the distance and fix the upper backer.
Unread 12-01-2019, 05:58 PM   #21
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I would cut out the Redgard and remove the 1/2 inch piece and replace it with 1/4 inch. I know, it's more work than you wanted to do but that's how I would fix it.

Edit, Jerry beat me to it.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 12-01-2019, 06:19 PM   #22
Old_Smokey

Urgent advice needed!

Not sure how i would remove it as it's taped and thinset to the back piece, sides and top. Seems like I would end up destroying some good parts in the process?

If I just cut through the mesh tape with a grinder, I'd have double-thickness after re-taping the 1/4" piece right?

Sorry I'm just having a hard time picturing how to remove the upper 1/2" piece without wrecking stuff.
Unread 12-01-2019, 06:29 PM   #23
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

You may very well wreck some stuff, maybe even a tile or two. I don't know of an easier way, maybe some else does. I would take it slow and easy, don't go gang busters on it.

When building a niche, always leave the bottom 2x4 about 1/8 -1/4 lower than you think it needs and the upper 2x4 a little higher than you think it needs to be. It's always easier to float it out a little.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 12-01-2019, 06:32 PM   #24
jerrymlr1

It might be difficult but not impossible. A dremel tool to cut thru the tape and thinset maybe? Occilating multi tool? I really don't see an option. If you lower it you will need a piece to fill the area and that would not look good IMHO.
Unread 12-01-2019, 06:33 PM   #25
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

I agree with replacing the top piece with 1/4”. You will scrape the mortar and mesh tape away. You’ll cut and pry the 1/2” piece out. You’ll have to remove at least a couple of tiles. But by scraping down the areas of mesh tape and mortar, you’ll avoid a double build up. In short, it’s a bit of fussy work. But you can make a complete correction to your dilemma.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2019, 06:38 PM   #26
Lou_MA

How long is that wall with the niche? If it’s not a huge number of tiles, you could try removing the top row of tiles, ripping off an 1/8” and hitting that cut edge with a diamond sanding block.

Edit - forget my idea. Just saw that the side walls are already tiled up past that pint.

The main issue I’d have with replacing the cbu at the top of the niche is popping enough tiles and getting enough clean redgard around the entire perimeter to adequately tie in the redgard over the new 1/4” board.
Unread 12-01-2019, 06:40 PM   #27
Old_Smokey

If I do get that 1/2 piece replaced with 1/4, I’d have a 1/4” gap between the new top piece and the sides. How should I bridge that for waterproofing? Peel back the redgard, then tape and thinset plus new redgard tying into the old?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 12-01-2019, 06:44 PM   #28
jerrymlr1

You could shim behind the 1/4" piece.
Unread 12-01-2019, 06:46 PM   #29
jerrymlr1

Yes. A little thinset and tape to fill the voids
Unread 12-01-2019, 07:13 PM   #30
jerrymlr1

I went back and looked at the pictures. You definitely have a delicate repair but again I don't see an option. Since the back wall is installed I would probably go in with a multitool and start at the back and cut upwards above the face and cut thru the 1/2" backer about an 1/8" in front of the existing wall. You can't really go back to the corner seam. Do the same in the corners then the front seam. I would have a sharp chisel and hammer for detailing. A bottle of JD in case it doesn't work out.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase