Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 10-20-2019, 04:39 PM   #1
godblsmnymkr

Possible to unseal marble tile?

hey guys. I bought marble mosaic tile and installed it in my bathroom. i did a test spray on some tile not on the wall with this sealer and it turned out fine. i then put it on all my tile on the wall.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/cus...ler/1000410108

after i did 2 coates and wiped it off it left the tile looking like it does when its wet. basically takes all the color out of the tile and the colored pieces to the tile look really bad.
this is the tile i used. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Jeffrey-...9615/203485321
is there anyway to remove that product from my tile to return it to its natural state? ty!
Unread 10-20-2019, 05:24 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

The sealer is doing it's job. I've never known a way of reversing the enhancing but you might call Customs to see what they have to say. Or maybe someone else knows and will chime in.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2019, 06:29 PM   #3
godblsmnymkr

https://www.tileshop.com/products/su...1-quart-220029 wonder if this would work
Unread 10-21-2019, 08:24 AM   #4
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

Aaron, I can’t speak for other sealer manufacturers, but I can tell you that the enhancing/enriching effect is considered permanent with our products. You could try a good sealer and coating stripper and see what it does, but I’m not incredibly hopeful in this situation unfortunately.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2019, 12:31 PM   #5
godblsmnymkr

https://www.custombuildingproducts.c...er-sealer.aspx

installation guide says cannot be reversed. i guess i'll apply another coat to blen in all the blotchiness on the colored tile. thanks guys
Unread 11-30-2019, 11:55 PM   #6
katilicous

Aaron,
Is this tile flat or is it like a ledger stone? If it's flat and not polished you can hone or grind or sand the surface to remove the color enhancing look . It's an impregnating sealer but marble is denser stone and usually it only impregnates into the stone a little . If you are getting blotchy results it could be that your walls weren't wiped down and a grout and or mortar haze is on the surface of the stone.
The guide always says enhancers cannot be removed but if you call Customs they might have a trick besides honing that will take away the enhancing look. Don't add more if you don't like the look.
Unread 12-02-2019, 09:41 AM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I agree with Holden and your installation guide. It seems to be a water-base sealer, and I know for a fact it can't be reversed. Sorry.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase