Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-21-2020, 08:22 AM   #1
CadRhino

Tuning up old Target G2

Hi All

I was hoping to get some advice or insights from folks on the Target G2 saws.
I bought one new in 96ā€™ which I love and use all the time.
I have recently wanted to buy a backup machine just in case my old faithful is down for some reason.

Mine looks almost in new condition so I was shocked to see how ratty the used ones look. There are not many available but they all look really run through the mill.

Anyway, I just picked up a used one and bought lots of replacement parts from Contract Direct to bring some life back to it.

My question has to do with the steel pan. The pan on the used unit I bought is twisted. Iā€™d say it twists down to the right (facing) maybe 3/8ā€ overall.

Does anyone know how to take the twist out of these pans? I plan to put new rails and bridge on it.

Other than that the machine gets a good cleaning, new belt and new trolly. The head bearings seem good but I have a backup if needed.

If there is anything else I may want to look at on an old machine let me know.

Thanks for any input.
Unread 01-21-2020, 06:36 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

A tile saw is kinda like a cement mixer that gets pulled behind a truck, it gets more abuse when it's not being used. A tile saw in the back of a truck (like mine) can look bad pretty fast. I do keep a tarp over mine when it's in my truck but the bouncing around in a rough riding truck takes it's toll.

I don't know how to twist it back and wonder how it got twisted in the first place. Bearings can be replaced by taking one to an auto parts store and let them cross reference the numbers. They can usually find one that's the same size. I replaced the bearings in my old Felker tile saw 4-5 times over the years. The guy at the auto parts told me the bearings were the same as some Chevy alternator bearings, so those were pretty common.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2020, 09:19 PM   #3
CadRhino

Hi Davey
Thanks for the reply.
I bought some replacement bearings from Husqvarna but that us good to know auto parts store might be an option.

The pan does have a small dent on one side, who knows how it got warped. It really sturdy, must have taken some force to warp it.

When I take the risks and bridge off hopefully I can bend it square somehow.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase