Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-30-2014, 12:21 PM   #1
JDinMI

Shower Rebuild - Vapor Question

DIY'er first time attempt at a shower rebuild.

I have torn up the old 2nd floor shower that was leaking (no sloped liner bed). The wall construction was tile, cement/lathe, drywall, stud, insulation. See picture showing damaged portion of drywall removed.

I plan on rebuilding the bed/line and replacing the tile, attached to USG Durock.

Q1.: Do I need to add a vapor barrier? (Michigan)
Q2.: Should I replace or remove the drywall?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2014, 12:31 PM   #2
Kman

I'd remove the sheetrock. I don't think it's going to do you any good in the future, no matter what your plans are.

You should determine what type of water containment system you're going to use, then we can tailor our advice to suit your project.

For instance, if you were going to use cement board with no waterproofing on it, then you'll need 6-mil plastic on the studs behind it. If you plan on some type of waterproofing, then you don't want plastic behind the CBU.

Some waterproofing systems recommend the use of plain ole' sheetrock like Kerdi, and some are integrated into the product like Densshield, Wedi, and Kerdiboard.

So if you haven't done so, it's best to do a little research and determine what system you want to use, and go from there. We'll be glad to help you from beginning to end.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #3
JDinMI

Shower Rebuild - Vapor Question

Kevin, thanks for the quick response. I think I'll go with the 6-mil plastic on the studs.

Q1: Am I required to use one continuous sheet, or can I overlap pieces for each wall?
Q2: Does the plastic go down all the way to the top of the pan liner or should I stop at the top of the mud bed (as I am going to do with the cement board)?

Thanks again. Most appreciated.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
reefone
tile setter

1- you don't need to use one piece of plastic as long as the seams over lap about 3 inches. I also like to tape the seam.

2- the plastic should run into the panline and stop a couple inches above the pan liner.

since you should have no penetrations lower then 2inch above the curb.you will want to run your durock into the liner also and stop about a inch above the panliner. this will allow you to use the deck mud to hold the durock against the studs. if you pour your pan first and run durock to the finished mud the bottom of the cbu will be flopping in the wind.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:04 PM   #5
snrusnak

Also remember to notch your studs for the pan liner thickness.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase