Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 10-27-2014, 01:42 AM   #16
Higher Standard Tile
Tile and Stone Contractor

I like that idea, until I have to mix half a bag of grout for one pinhole.

It does make it easier to keep multiple colors on hand.

Higher Standard Tile & Stone
Maui, Hawaii
CTEF Certified Tile Installer #673

Maui Professional Tile & Stone Installation
Higher Standard Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2014, 05:28 AM   #17
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

I think the industry is slowly moving away from cement based grouts. I know they are comming out with a product to compete with Mapei's Flexcolor CQ. I have a sample of Hydroban board sitting on my desk. Looks like Wedi with a Hydroban coating. My comments to the rep...4 x 8 sheets a must. 4 x 5 and 4 x 6 would be a nice addition.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2014, 08:47 AM   #18
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Ok let's hear some more about that 1 part grout. It's Monday and nothing on Laticrete site or news release.
Attached Images

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #19
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Normally, they wouldn't mention new, future products in a training class/workshop...but, since they were having their introduction on Saturday/SUnday, and this was the Friday before, they gave us a heads up. They did not say a huge amount about the two.

The cement based product is going to be called "Permacolor Select". It has built-in StoneTech sealer and their mold/mildew resistance material. Permacolor, for the present, will still be produced unless the market moves towards Select.

The one-part grout will be called "Plasma" grout. It is based on a hybrid urethane technology. Its main benefits over what's out there today is early strength development (and eventually gets harder than the others out there as well) and is very stain resistant - in testing, much more than the others out there. The material itself does not use a pigment - it uses the same colors and tech as Spectralock part C for the colorization (it's already mixed in).

At introduction for sale (predicted to be 15 January 2015), they should have all of their current colors available, and may have some of the more popular competitors colors as well. They plan to expand that pallet quickly to encompass what's out there, at least from the more common companies.

That's about all I know. I expect their PR machine will release more over the next few weeks to the trade journals. Until then, you have a bit over 2-months before you could buy them.

Oh, and one last thing: Laticrete bought StoneTec sealant name and production line from Dupont, and eventually, they will run out of those bottles and start to market it under their label.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2014, 11:40 AM   #20
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Thanks Jim, that does fill in the gaps a bit. Looks like it will give QuartzLock, Dimension and fusion a run for it's money.

Unread 10-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #21
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

They told me I could pass this info on today, but somewhere the time got lost, and they're a bit miffed. Their intent was not to post anything before 5pm today...I heard them say they were having intro sessions over the weekend (Saturday and Sunday) and I could post on Monday, which I did; early Monday, but still Monday, at least on the east coast!

Oh well, may never get an invite again to a workshop.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
Unread 10-27-2014, 06:43 PM   #22
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Here's a photo of the new Permacolor grout. I'm trying to post from my phone and can't figure out how to rotate. Sorry, you'll have to wait until Thursday if you don't want to look at it sideways. Or push ctrl+alt+left arrow(?)
Attached Images

Last edited by Tiger Mountain Tile Inc; 11-01-2014 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Attach and turn photo
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2014, 06:58 PM   #23
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Forgot I had one more photo.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tiger Mountain Tile Inc; 10-30-2014 at 03:37 PM. Reason: attach and turn photo
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #24
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Jim, do you get one of those glowing plasma balls with each bucket?

Unread 10-27-2014, 09:57 PM   #25
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

No idea...they did not show any of the production packaging to us. They demoed a color packet by dissolving one in a clear plastic pan. The 'bag' dissolves in about 30-seconds and releases the pigment. It must be very small particles because the next day the water was still opaque.
Unread 10-28-2014, 06:48 AM   #26
MAPEI - Product Support
Technical Support Rep

Dave makes a valid point regarding the industry trend heading towards "non-cementitious" grouts. We have certainly seen tremendous success and increasing product interest in these newer grout technologies over the recent years!
Unread 10-28-2014, 07:40 AM   #27
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

We saw the Plasma at Total Solutions - they are supposed to be sending a bucket of white and clear - yep clear. We'll see how each works with glass tiles for the new glass tile tutorial.

Eagerly waiting

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2014, 08:00 AM   #28
cx
Moderator emeritus

I got the full pitch on the new Permacolor system, but not the Plasma tour.

I'll be curious to see how that Permacolor system works out in the longer term. Certainly sounds good on paper. Biggest downside I could see is the need for mixing a full 12 1/2 pounds no matter how small the size of the grouting to be done.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2014, 10:47 AM   #29
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

FWIW, I suggested they keep the 8# carton, or maybe make it 6.25#, and halve the size of the color packets. They said they thought about it, but it was not in the plans at the moment. As it is now, the color pigment comes in a box with two packets. You use one for the smaller bag of grout, and both for the 25# bag. It wouldn't be a big stretch to make them smaller to accommodate a smaller batch. This would be helpful for the DIY'er, too. For the meantime, their current packaging is going to remain on the market, and should you need a smaller quantity, you could use that instead but you wouldn't have as many colors available.
Unread 10-30-2014, 03:46 PM   #30
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Just FYI for everyone, I've changed the name of the thread for when someone searches down the road they will be able to tell what the thread is about.

--------

I'll bet that Laticrete will come up with a smaller size down the road. Maybe a 6 or a 3 pounder? They probably just want to see how the product is received before going all out.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase