Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-16-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
ladyinred

New Master Bathroom

Hi!

We are beginning a new master bath expansion and remodel. I have a few questions on the deflecto requirements for stone.

The addition that was added has joists that are made of 2x12's (11.25x1.5) that extend 12 feet and are 16 inches on center. This is a deflection of L/883 so we should be ok there. It is currently convered with a 3/4 in subfloor. It is my understanding we will need an additional 5/8 layer of plywood. Correct?

The original portion has a similar joist size but are 12 inches on center and run for 16 feet. This is L/593. Our contractor was going to double up the 3 joists that are under the tub and the three under the shower. There are about 6 to 8 feet between that area. If he were to double up every other joist in addition to that would that meet the requirements for stone? Otherwise, what would you suggest? Also, there is 5/8 plywood in that area which I assume we would cover with a layer of 3/4 inch.

We do have access from below.

Thanks for your help!

Kathy
ladyinred is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-16-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
bbcamp

Kathy, technically, doubling every other joist means that the single (un-doubled) joists won't meet the deflection criteria.However, since the spacing is short, I think a couple rows of solid blocking between the joists (or bridging, if your contractor prefers), spaced at about the 1/3 and 2/3 span points will be good enough.

Extra 5/8" plywood where you now have 3/4" and extra 3/4" plywooe where you have 5/8" is good. No glue, just screws.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
Marge

Geez Bob, not even a "welcome to the forum Kathy"? Injineers...

Kathy, welcome to the forum.
Unread 07-16-2008, 09:42 PM   #4
ladyinred

Hey thanks Marge. I've been reading posts for a while and now that we're finally starting the project, I thought I should join the fun!

I'm thinking that we should just double up all the joists so we don't have to worry about it. The thought of all the work, time and money invested in the end result and to risk that is not worth it. And the thought of going to ceramic rather than stone bums me out.

I'm considering using a beautiful marble tile I found. What can you all tell me about the installation and/or care of marble versus other options? What do we need to be aware of?

Kathy

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase