Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 08-01-2007, 03:51 PM   #1
me_patches

need slate sealer info

We have a newly built slate shower - not quite finished - finishing up grout work. I’ve had concerns with the installer and would prefer not to rehash those issues. I’ve beat myself over the head enough and appreciated previous advice.

Now what I need is sealer info. TileLab Matte Sealer was used on the slate in the shower (Indian multi slate walls, pebble floor) From my reading this is a topical or finishing sealant. It was used as a pregrout sealer and as after grout sealer. I wrote to the manufacturer of TileLab and they said it was not meant for use in a shower - does not state that anywhere on the bottle - plus it should not be used pregrout. I showed the installer the info from TileLab (custom buidling products) and he said, "Hmm - well that is what we have always done... but if you want somethig different I'll be happy to put StoneTech Bulletproof over everything."

Here are my questions:

So what are my options? Do I remove the sealer - if so what do I use? If not what can I use over it - can anything be used over it?

And will vinegar/water take it off? If this is so would that not be a good weekly cleaner (as suggested per installer)?

We may just do the sealing ourselves from this point onward - so any help would be greatly appreciated.

"Dad's the boss" Mom said so
me_patches is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-01-2007, 04:15 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Well, since it's a chemical question now, let's get it over here where more of our chemical-dependent folks hang out.

That's the right term, ain't it?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2007, 04:16 PM   #3
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Bulletproof would be a waste of time at this point,and it's not recommended for latex grout also.Do not use vinegar as a weekly cleaner,it will wear away your stone,and it may wear away the sealer, also,acidic products tend to do that.I alway recommend just an enhancing sealer for slate.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2007, 04:25 PM   #4
me_patches

I didn't think you could use another sealer on top of a finishing sealer. thanks! But then what can I do. To get this shower ready for me to use I would be happy to do the work myself, do I need to remove the TileLab stuff? How do I know if the grout is latex?

Would something like Klenzall be a good idea? Would I just make a big ol' mess? If I go that route, then what do I use to reseal - could I use Bulletproof or Enhancer Pro at that point? Do I need two sealers, one penetrating and one top coat type something - is that necessary? How time consuming would this be?

Thanks for the vinegar/water answer - those were my thoughts from something I read somewhere around here but couldn't be sure.

Unread 08-01-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

For specifics about the StoneTech Professional products, Roxie, it would be a good idea to call their tech service number: 888-786-6343.

While they've (StoneTech) been bought by DuPont, I've been told recently that their tech line still provides good service. And they've always had folks there who really know the products. Hope it's still the same.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2007, 05:10 PM   #6
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

From what i read any tilelab sealer can be used as a pregrout, and the matte can be used indoors or outdoors, and nothing about no use in showers,i would use it as is,if it seems to detiororate i would then use an acrylic stripper,then reseal with an enhancing sealer tile and grout.

Last edited by Davestone; 08-01-2007 at 07:22 PM.
Unread 08-01-2007, 05:18 PM   #7
me_patches

And I thought my addiction to this site was dwindling.....

According to TileLab I need to remove the sealer. Ok, talked with StoneTech, they don't have a product to remove the sealer already applied. So back to the TileLab products which they suggested full strength TileLab Heavy Duty Cleaner and Stripper.

OK - so I clean and strip...using the TL HDCS - use a sponge? paint brush? green scrubbie?

StoneTech suggests if needed to use Restore, then Enhancer Pro, then if needed Impregnator Pro and not Bulletproof. How would I apply these products? sponge? towel? brush?

Thanks for the phone number cx - I didn't even have to press 1, then press #, then press 1 again.....

Unread 08-01-2007, 05:28 PM   #8
me_patches

Davestone - That is what I assumed reading the TileLab bottle of matte sealer. However, if you notice how they catagorize their products, the Matte Sealer is listed as a "Finishing sealer", not under "Penetrating". Here is their direct quote:

"You should definitely pre-seal the slate prior to grouting but the Matte Sealer is not a good product for a shower application. I would recommend using a regular penetrating sealer for the pre-seal and then again after the installation is grouted. The Matte is a finishing sealer and it turns white when it is exposed to a lot of moisture which is what will happen in a shower application. Typically when using finishing sealers you should always seal with a regular penetrating sealer first and then use the finishing sealer as a top coat if you are looking to change the appearance of the stone but since this is a wet application this procedure is not recommended."

So why did I second guess to begin with? Well - since I'm so excited to use my shower I wanted to make sure I had the correct cleaners on hand and was spending hours on this most wonderful site, laughed, got off track, laughed, found cleaning info, then read that someone had a white film in their shower and wanted to know what they could do - I obviously wanted to prevent this so I read on (no laughing now). Turns out they had used a topical sealer - ahhh - so I ran to check the bottle of sealer in the shower - but couldn't see any clear directions on use besides indoor/outdoor on the bottle and wrote to the manuf. Short story long....

Unread 08-01-2007, 07:22 PM   #9
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Yeah, unfortunately there's a lof of that, not enough clear info,to even do a job right,really makes it hard.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase