Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 10-07-2006, 08:56 AM   #1
Dave the Tile Guy
No longer a registered user

Cant stop watching:

This is mesmerizing. Have your sound on. It's a live feed from an African watering hole. If you see anything interesting post it.

mms://live.wildlife.wavelit.net/nk1957

Hmm...strange its not "clickable". paste it into your browser. It will open up a separate video window.

Found some info on cam/location etc:

http://www.africam.com/cam_info/index.php?camId=nkorho

Last edited by Dave the Tile Guy; 10-07-2006 at 09:17 AM.
Dave the Tile Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-07-2006, 10:19 AM   #2
jvcstone
Stone Carver

Well Now Dave-TG ,

Why did you have to go and post something like that.

Don't see how I'll ever be able to get anything done now.

Good link specially like the way the camera pans and zooms in on things of interest. Got to see a baboon get a drink

JVC

-- John VanCamp
we should not accept something as true until it has been officially denied!
jvcstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2006, 03:49 PM   #3
Bugman
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Thanks for posting the link. Just got to see a couple of antelope?? and some type of waterfowl. The antelope drank for quite a while. Then they started to wander off. Something spooked them and all I saw was a spray of dirt as they leaped into full run speed.

Here's another African waterhole link: http://www9.nationalgeographic.com/n...ica/index.html
Unread 10-08-2006, 07:58 PM   #4
Marge

If you like Alaskan sea lions, especially if they are, ahem, a little frisky, a reseach group has set up a web cam.

http://www.alaskasealife.org/New/research/chiswell.php

It is only online during business hours, so check it out tomorrow morning. Has sound as well.
Unread 10-12-2006, 09:57 PM   #5
Marge

Dave,

Finally had a long day at home and while I was updating websites for hours, I kept the webcams on the other screen.

The Nkora webcam kept coming up as a pirated video today..go figure. I checked the info link you posted and the webcam is accessible on that link on the top left. Guess someone hacked in or something on the other link.

Anyway......8 hours later......I got to see two hornbills get romantic and listen to baboons screeching and what sounded like hippos. And then there was the gorgeous sunrise in the last 1/2 hour. Was it exciting Big 5 animals?...not really, but it brought back so many memories of my safari years ago. Dave and I have been talking a couple years about saving up for a trip and I told him tonight it's a must do. So feel free to send a check!

EDIT: Holy baboon.....there's a flock of 'em! And a bull elephant drinking. And only ten minutes later.... keep those checks coming now!

Last edited by maminaz; 10-12-2006 at 10:22 PM.
Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2006, 03:21 AM   #6
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Small Herd of 8 Zebra came in this morning........saw some other smaller critter about the size of a large Mink........Mongoose maybe??
Quick little sucker whatever he was
Unread 10-13-2006, 07:04 AM   #7
Bugman

Dang it!!! These sites are addictive! I get both the Nkora and the Nat. Geog. sites up side by side and just leave them on all day. It's interesting to see the difference in habitat between the two sites. NG site is more arid than Nkora. The NG site has a fair size herd of elephants that come by every day. We love the wart hogs. They sure can wallow in the mud. Wouldn't want to come face to face with one of the adults. Frances saw giraffes on one of the sites on Wednesday. Has anyone noticed the LOUD frogs on the Nkora site after sun down? Make our bullfrogs sound like tadpoles.

The Nkora site has been losing signal or something lately. I always link to it from the home page.

Thanks again, Dave The Tile Guy, for posting this.
Unread 10-13-2006, 08:47 AM   #8
Marge

There are some crocs on the NG pond right now!
Unread 10-13-2006, 11:06 AM   #9
JTG

A black screen and loud frogs is all I have seen/heard at the wildlife site and the last two days only the black screen and music. Also it is always night time in Africa when I get a chance to pull up these sites.
JTG

Santa Seattle
Ballard

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/SantaJerryinBallard

Last edited by JTG; 10-13-2006 at 11:12 AM.
JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2006, 05:54 PM   #10
Marge

Jerry, I found when that happens, just right click on the REAL player icon and click on zoom. The pic enlarges and usually comes into view. To reduce, just hit escape.

I did some reading about Pete's Pond and the croc I saw is named Fatty. He was part of a re-intro program and was eating the other baby crocs food. They moved him to the Pond last year. I wondered about that since they tend to hang by the rivers.

And that slapping noise at night are bats! Now that I know what it is the sound makes sense.

If you want to see some really cool videos of the Pond, check out this site:

http://petespondspaces.spaces.live.com/

And no, I got very little tile work done today. But Dave will be a taskmaster tomorrow.
Unread 10-18-2006, 08:44 AM   #11
Marge

I haven't had much on air time but have found a TON of activity consistently 730AM-830AM and 8P-9P PHX time on the NG site.

I got home from work a couple nights ago and had the cam going on the second screen. I mentioned to Dave I would love to finally see some lions...I kid you not, about one minute later three females came strolling to the pond! The wildebeast took off running. We really enjoyed that! There are a herd of ellies splashing around right now.
Unread 10-18-2006, 08:57 AM   #12
Dave Taylor
Retired Moderator - Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Anybody had an Edna sighting at that pond yet :---)
Dave Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2006, 09:59 AM   #13
Bugman

There were six lions drinking on the NG site last night. Four of them were lined up shoulder to shoulder crouched down with their front paws just out of the water. They were all drinking at the same time. It was quite a sight. The other two were off to the side, each by themself. While the lions were drinking at the NG site, two Cape Buffalo were drinking at the Nkorho site. Saw a lone elephant NG site yesterday too. The camera was following it as it moved into the bush and there was a large dust devil going across the background. Very interesting.

I am amazed at how long individual animals drink at one time. Guess when you only get one or two drinks a day you have to make it count.

Quote:
Dave Taylor: Anybody had an Edna sighting at that pond yet :---)
I thought I saw something strange in the shadows at the Nkorho site one day. All the animals took off in a cloud of dust!

Last edited by Bugman; 10-18-2006 at 10:23 AM.
Bugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2006, 07:02 PM   #14
Marge

I wish I knew of a way to capture those images. Would be fun to share here.

And this is interesting for adventurous types to Africa:

http://www.enkosiniecoexperience.com/index.html
Unread 10-20-2006, 08:58 AM   #15
Marge

Two things:

Did anyone else see the tiny, baby ellie yesterday AM? It was leaning down, front legs spread getting a drink....then it went head over tea kettle into the pond. Mom just causally reached in with her trunk and uprighted the little guy.

Second, anyone know how to do a RSS feed? There is an alert program for the pond but I don't understand how it works.

http://forums.ngm.com/forums/thread/22776.aspx

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase