Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 01-03-2021, 04:12 PM   #1
JackOfNoTrades

Off-label use for Polymer Additive

Hello All,
Newbie here, though I'm a long-time lurker (in the middle of fashioning a Frankenguise shower system, for instance). However, my question has nothing to do with tiling. I have scoured the internet for some useful information, but have come up short. I was hoping that your collective experimentation (probably accidental) might give me some insight. I know this is entirely off-subject, so I apologize if I am breaking a rule. I just can't think of another group of people who might know.

I have an 8'x10' wool rug that has delaminated from its backing. Every tutorial of how to replace the backing just says to paint on new latex. The few specific product recommendations are out of stock all over the planet, apparently. So, I am trying to come up with an alternative. When I google liquid latex, 'Polymer Additive' keeps coming up. I am familiar with what this is, but only through research. I have never used it. To be clear, I am not talking about adding it to thin set for any tiling purposes; It will be used alone, painted onto the back of a rug, probably covered by and gluing down fabric. Since my intended purpose is not the manufacturer's intent, the specs don't mention the relevant characteristics. I was thinking that some of you may have accidentally left some open or spilled some and could tell me of its properties. According to Mapei <in the questions on the Lowe's product page>, Mapei Polymer Additive is the same thing as Mapei Keraply. This is the most attractive option, since it is locally available and affordable.

So, my questions concerning dried Polymer Additive are;
1) Will water (from occasional shampooing) cause it to liquify and
a) separate from the wool tufts?
b) migrate to the top of the rug?
2) Will it remain flexible enough to roll up the rug?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my questions. I appreciate any feedback you might have.
Unread 01-03-2021, 04:54 PM   #2
RichVT
Vermont Remodeling Contractor

I'm pretty sure that Tear Mender is a latex product. Seems to be in stock at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Tear-Mender-I...026833597&th=1
Unread 01-03-2021, 05:04 PM   #3
JackOfNoTrades

That does look like it would work, but the price is pretty scary! It would take 8 bottles to make 2 gallons, which would be $200. The Polymer Additive at Lowes is $20 for 2 gallons.
Unread 01-04-2021, 06:20 AM   #4
CaliGrown

Don’t know about the polymer additive doing ya any good here, the stuff is tacky but as far as being an adhesive for sheet goods I don’t think so.

I’d wager a non water soluble carpet or sheet vinyl adhesive would be adequate and have a much higher chance of success for your application. Here’s one for just over $40 from typing in carpet adhesive into the HD search bar.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Roberts-...95-4/202261817
CaliGrown is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2021, 09:56 AM   #5
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

Ronda,

Unfortunately, Polymer Additive would not likely work in this case for you. Since this product is made to be a replacement for water in cement tile mortars, it has a high water content. You would likely be looking for something with quite a bit more latex in it since you would not be mixing it with anything else in this scenario.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase