Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 02-22-2007, 09:06 AM   #1
Northwest Tile Guy

Mold scare?

I have read up a little on the dealing of mold and I have always been under the impression that it was extremely bad for you. After reading some of the past posts, I can't believe how undereducated I was and how many people have been brainwashed to the effects mold has. I was helping my brother-in-law out on his mold problem (he had a dishwasher leak and let it go for a little too long) which lead me to research this topic further. The water got under his laminate flooring which lead to some molding of the particle board and osb underneath. We ripped out the particle board down to the osb, found that the mold was only on the surface of the osb, so I treated it with a 2 to 1 mixture of bleach and water. We let it dry out and was about the put new flooring on, but since he had filed a claim on the water damage with his homeowners insurance, the ins. co. is having some mold abatement agent come in and "take care of this huge mold infestation." In my mind, I had already taken care of the problem, found the water source causing the moisture problem(leaking dishwasher), neutralized the remaining surface mold with bleach water, and allowed sufficient time for it to dry. Did I miss something? I am with John Bridge on this issue. It is nothing but a huge scam that lawyers and insurance agents can extract more money from the homeowners. Sorry if this post doesn't make a lot of sense, but it makes me mad when I see people taken advantage of. If any of you actually read this way too long of a post, I am open to any advise or suggestions you might have regarding this issue.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:21 AM   #2
Hamilton
Bucket abuser

Ive only dealt with one mold abatement company while self employed.
They came in to check out a master bathroom that had a small leak
in a fiberglass shower stall. It was clear where the leak was, just a little
missing silicone on a joint(2 piece unit) They could have easily demo'd
the fiberglass unit with much less damage to the bathroom. After removing
the unit, they found no mold... in fact every bit of framing was dry. These
guys managed to sawzall the drywall from floor to shower head height
about 2' in either direction of where the stall ended. Of course they offerd
all services necessary to repair the damage.
I can demo a shower most times without damaging the surrounding paint
and rebuild a shower covering up the old stopping point by a 1/2" or so
eliminating the need for a drywall guy and a painter. These kinda folks
really bother me, the ones create more damage and then sub all the work
out.

Hamiltontileandstone.com

Temecula Tile and Natural stone contractor
Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:46 AM   #3
chas22

Your right, Mold has become a big issue. Lawyers are getting rich and Insurance companies are scared of lawsuits. I work for a school system in the HVAC department. When we have mold issue the classroom has to be evacuated and a restoration company is called out. Once the area is sealed off and the mold is removed (flooring, carpet, ceiling tile, wall coverings and sheetrock) by someone wearing protective clothing and a mask. The mold is not just swept up because of the chance of cross contamination. The area is then sprayed with a product called Microban. http://www.baneclene.com/catalog/microban.html Then the area is vacuumed with a Heapavac and sealed with a product called Fosters 40/20 http://www.fosterproducts.com/defaul...etails&pid=179 Itís a real pain in the butt and an open market for lawsuits.

Charlie
chas22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:56 AM   #4
chas22

Calling the insurance company on an issue like this is kinda like calling out the gas company if you smell a natural gas leak. In Okla. if the gas company is called out they shut off the gas and tag the meter. Then a plumber has to be called out to pressure up the line and check for leaks. After repaired then the gas company has to be called for an inspection. Calling the plumber first is the best thing. It's also a pain in the butt and all about money.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:55 PM   #5
RedRock
Granite, Quartz, and Tile Installer

What's next?

In the 80s, it was all about asbestos. Businesses, school districts (your tax dollars), and private individuals spent billions of dollars in asbestos abatement. Years later the attitude changed from immediate removal to "manage it in place".

In the 90s, it was all about "Indoor Air Quality" - formaldehyde, dusts/pollen, second-hand smoke, radon, etc. Another big scare, and the public spent even more money.

The issue of mold fits right in there. Just think of all the thousands of showers that were installed with just greenboard and tile mastic. Won't be long till those will have to be replaced. And you can bet there will be mold behind the walls and floors.

Don't get me wrong, I think asbestos, formaldehyde, radon, mold and all those other nasties shouldn't be taken lightly. There is enough scientific research that shows a health concern. But it all depends on the duration of the exposure and concentration of the substance.

Its unfortunate that scam artists, like insurance companies, prey on the uneducated and gullible public.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:24 PM   #6
customceramicsllc
licensed tile installation

its called job creation hammy!
no job too big and no job too small.If its a small job we'll make it a big one!
I like your comment about reboarding walls and overlapping the joint to save the customer money. I have been doing that today on a fiberglass shower rip out.Nothing like saving money for others!

perfection doesn't start with the tile guy
dead fish go with the flow
customceramicsllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:39 PM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
The mold scare is just one more item we Texans can claim. We have the Alamo and the first republic to become a state of the Union, we have the biggest this and the biggest that. The first mold lawsuit was just outside Austin, Texas. A lady sued her insurance company, Farmers, because mold was found in her new house. Coincidentally, someone in her family either got sick or died (I don't remember which), and she got a judgement from Farmers for big dollars.

It got so bad that Farmers later tried to leave Texas (in writing homeowners policies), but the State threatened them with a suit. Farmers stayed but cancelled all homeowners policies that had long term water damage provisions. I was cancelled by Farmers.

That's just background, but several years ago I was refered to a lawyer in one of the better parts of town. This guy had a leaky shower floor that I fixed. In the process we got to talking about mold, and guess what. He worked for the law firm that originally won the suit against Farmers for the lady in Austin. Was he worrried about mold? Not a bit. We laughed about it.

Mold is a big buggaboo, as has been stated. I have a son who is asmatic, and I suppose mold spores might heighten his symptoms, but for everyone else there is absolutely no problem at all.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:44 PM   #8
chas22

Our school is a rich kid school and that's part of the problem and why we have to do a good mold clean up. If a child is asmatic and the parent can prove that the school is the problem, then the child has to be removed from the school and home schooled and the school system has to pay for it. We have to keep air filters clean and do extra cleaning for some children. Parents wonder why their child get worse at school and better at home. When you have 20 to 25 kids in a room half of which own cats or dogs, parents smoke, and other kids roll around the playground in the grass, Yes it will happen.

Charlie
Old 02-22-2007, 08:51 PM   #9
jpeffer

I've actually been researching mold and using myself as a test dummy.

I scrape it off the wall in my shower and put it on all my food, in my drinks and fill my pillow case full of mold when I sleep at night.

I've found that I sleep better, my bowel movements are more regular and I've lost 35 lbs this month.

I'm debating on buying a block on the home shopping channle and marketing it as a health food.
jpeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:05 PM   #10
Northwest Tile Guy

Is there anything I can tell my bro in law's insurance guy? Right now, half of their kitchen is tore up waiting for the "lab results" of this "unknown" biohazard on the floor. The guy that came over to test the mold said it would take at least 72 hours to get the results back and then after they determine that it is in fact mold, they will quaretine the area and proceed with their cleanup. Anyways, it is a crazy ordeal that's for sure and I will continue to educate myself on the topic so when I do come into contact with one of those guys I can give them an educated what for.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:11 PM   #11
Dave Gobis
da Man!

http://www.responsiblemoldsolutions.org/whatismold.htm

People do get carried away with the mold scare.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:19 PM   #12
chas22

If I remember right you said that you have already replaced the floor. If the insurance co. sent someone out to take an air and tape sample, about all you can do is wait for the results and hope everything is ok. I would think that a report will go back to the insurance co. Just hope they pay for all repairs and the bleach shut down the mold. If you ever have this problem again try to locate some Microban to help with clean-up. http://www.baneclene.com/catalog/microban.html
Old 02-23-2007, 12:07 AM   #13
stullis
Flooring Installer

It is all about CYA.

jpeffer, you are too late there are already companies doing that.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:11 AM   #14
John K

There are different types of mold. What about that mansion in texas. It was the owners dream house until everyone was getting deathly ill. The house had synthetic stucco.

I took up a kitchen floor one time that had vinyl and particle board. The water heater flooded the kitchen. After several weeks, it was time to install new flooring. Hell I pulled it up and didn't think anything about it. Damn near killed me. I haven't coughed and sneezed so much in my life. When the mold became air born it was a killer.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

www.precisiontilestone.com
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:37 AM   #15
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I have "abated" every kind of mold you can imagine, including all the so-called "Killer" molds, with my bare hands. It might evoke a sneeze or two, but so does ordinary dust.

No question, certain people are more affected than others, but to my knowledge no one has experienced permanent symptoms. The "science" of the matter is that there is very little science and a lot of assumption.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase