Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-16-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
California

Anyone ever build a shower pan/tub?

Hey Guys,

I have a customer who wants a 3'x4' standard tile shower pan.......except he wants to build it up like a tub and take a bath in the thing once in a while! (Yes he's really short) He's really a quirky guy but has a beautiful 3 story victorian home. The bathroom is on the 2nd story. Current shower pan is a 60"x48" hot mop with a standard curb. Any ideas other than building a box and inserting a tub? Anyone ever build a shower/tub? Gotta have an overflow drain i'd assume. I should add that we have the option of going back to 60".

Unread 08-16-2011, 11:33 PM   #2
HotMop

Yes you can build a custom tub any size or shape. We call them Roman Tubs around here, I know it can be hot mopped but guys around here have other theory's!
Unread 08-16-2011, 11:42 PM   #3
California

Anyone have picture(s) of one?
Unread 08-16-2011, 11:44 PM   #4
Hamilton
Bucket abuser

If its already mopped just scratch, float and tile it. Unless you plan on tearing out the mop and starting over of course, which....some of us might do

Hamiltontileandstone.com

Temecula Tile and Natural stone contractor
Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2011, 11:52 PM   #5
HotMop

No Jack...he has a regular shower now. Regardless it's going to need to be waterproofed 3" above the new tub height. I would assume your going to build the tub 18-20" deep?
Unread 08-16-2011, 11:55 PM   #6
Hamilton
Bucket abuser

Hey Brad, welcome to the forums dude. You may need a quick answer for this job, and I get it. Been there. Stick around though afterwards. The more CA mud guys the happier I am lol =) Ya know, mops are great but its good to know "other methods" Get to know liquid membranes, and sheet membranes. Schluter "Kerdi" ....Laticrete Hydroban are just a couple names. You can use the search tab above to find more reading than you may want. I've been around here for a while and been too lazy... I always just piss everyone off and start a new thread and ask a question thats been asked 20 times already lol...pretty much what most people do. Welcome to the crowd.

Hamiltontileandstone.com

Unread 08-16-2011, 11:58 PM   #7
HotMop

Name:  b2cc59d8.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  17.5 KB

Name:  320c8c82.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  14.3 KB

Last edited by jgleason; 08-17-2011 at 11:25 AM. Reason: please use the paperclip icon and attach images
HotMop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 12:10 AM   #8
Hamilton
Bucket abuser

This is in no way any less waterproof than a tub. Laticrete's "Hydroban" Applied per instructions with minimal overkill. http://www.hamiltontileandstone.com/...ains-and-pools

Hamiltontileandstone.com

Unread 08-17-2011, 12:31 AM   #9
California

Dang HotMop! Thats exactly what I need. Did you frame it up conventionally and go from there? I was trying to decipher from your pic. I'm going to build one of these, nice job! Any do's or don'ts you want to add, I'm all ears. Thanks!
Unread 08-17-2011, 12:42 AM   #10
JC

great topic, I have never did one and I read somewhere that it is not appoved(what ever that means) but I really didn't under stand why.

I come across alot of folks that want a shower but do not want to give up the tub either ..and not enough room to have both.

I think I would have the customer actually sit on my wet deck mud so I could shape the tub to his a s s...that would be cool eh?
JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 01:01 AM   #11
HotMop

Most of these types of Tubs do not have overflows, that has just been my experience, so be aware of that. A regular 2 piece drain should fit, and you will need to add this in addition for the Tub Stop. here is a link so you know what it looks like http://www.efaucets.com/detail.asp?Product_Id=D320-26
Unread 08-17-2011, 08:41 AM   #12
Hamilton
Bucket abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
I think I would have the customer actually sit on my wet deck mud so I could shape the tub to his a s s...that would be cool eh?
LOL!

Hamiltontileandstone.com

Unread 08-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #13
mossypath

Does anyone have a pic of the rumored Schluter tub drain? Have only seen it once on a camera phone at a Schluter workshop, not sure I liked the stopper . Isn’t it possible to rework a brass drain kit to include a flange braised on to connect for surface water proofing? I have been planning to replace my tub for a while now.

HotMop,, nice tub!
Unread 08-18-2011, 07:28 AM   #14
jroush
64th inch joints please

similar idea

I have built roman tub/shower enclosures before and I have always wanted to make a custom for my wife. What I want to do is make a lounge chair kind of floor so that theres a seat area that sits up a few inches higher and maybe shaped a bit like a farmers chair.. and then sloped off to a flatter section to the drain that would allow for standing and showering. Maybe do the seat and back section in that super nice pillowed 1" mosaic glass..then a non slip for the flat area.
Anyone ever done that?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase