Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 04-17-2005, 09:10 PM   #1
Dan White

When is grout really sealed?

Hi. I grouted ceramic tile maybe a month ago, and sealed the grout with two coats of Bulletproof after about 10 days. When the grout gets wet, it still darkens. The water seems to sink in, so to speak. Does this mean the grout is not completely sealed yet? Are liquids just supposed to bead up on the grout and not sink in at all?

thanks,
dwhite
Dan White is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-17-2005, 09:14 PM   #2
davem
Systems Engineer and Moderator, JB Forums

Send a message via AIM to davem Send a message via Yahoo to davem
With an impregnating sealer like Bulletproof, it's ok for the surface to darken when it gets wet. It is just surface wetting, it shouldn't be able to really "sink in". Does the grout lighten quickly after you dry the grout joints?
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2005, 11:50 AM   #3
teeitup
Licensed Tile Sealing Contractor

Grout sealing is a realitve term. A good impregnating type sealer will cut the porosity way down but will not make the grout impermiable. The purpose of sealing is to make the grout cleanable in the future. The only type sealer that will make water bead would be an epoxy grout coloring product, but there are potential problems there, so only use a grout coloring product where is really needed to change the color of grout.

Mike Norman
Seal Systems

http://www.tilesealing.com
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2005, 04:52 AM   #4
Dan White

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup
Grout sealing is a realitve term. A good impregnating type sealer will cut the porosity way down but will not make the grout impermiable. The purpose of sealing is to make the grout cleanable in the future. The only type sealer that will make water bead would be an epoxy grout coloring product, but there are potential problems there, so only use a grout coloring product where is really needed to change the color of grout.

Mike Norman
Seal Systems

I'm probably OK then. As as far as Mike's question, it does lighten back up when dry.

thanks,
dwhite
Unread 04-19-2005, 05:03 AM   #5
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Dan

How long does it take it to dry?

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2005, 10:53 PM   #6
Dan White

Quote:
Originally Posted by doitright
Hi Dan

How long does it take it to dry?
Actually I gave a vague answer because I wasn't sure. Today I put some water on a grout line but got so busy I didn't think to check it often. I'm going to try again on Wed and get back to you.

Thanks for asking,
dwhite
Unread 04-20-2005, 04:39 AM   #7
doitright

Hi Dan

Sorry, I was unclear about my statement. Most impregnating sealers will allow the grout to darken, but after they are wiped up, will dry quickly, and lighten back up. If the grout joint stays dark for an extended period of time after wiping off the water, you probably need to reseal.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

Unread 04-20-2005, 07:59 PM   #8
Dan White

Quote:
Originally Posted by doitright
Hi Dan

Sorry, I was unclear about my statement. Most impregnating sealers will allow the grout to darken, but after they are wiped up, will dry quickly, and lighten back up. If the grout joint stays dark for an extended period of time after wiping off the water, you probably need to reseal.

I'm probably OK then. I spilled some water on the grout line and it darkened quickly. Then I wiped off the excess with a rag and what was left did lighten up pretty quickly. Say in less than 1/2 hour, maybe quicker. The other section of tile I haven't sealed yet got and stayed darker for longer.

thanks for the tips,
dwhite
Unread 04-23-2005, 05:29 AM   #9
claycarson
Commercial Cleaning and Maintenance

Truth is, you would not be crazy to give the grout another coat of sealer. An extra coat can make a difference enough to justify the extra work/$.

Especially on vertical surfaces like tile walls where it doesn't 'sink in' as much as on a floor.

Really, really well sealed grout can 'bead up' water like a droplet on a waxed car, but most times it does not get to that state.

www.tileboston.com
claycarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2005, 05:47 AM   #10
doitright

I have to agree with Clay (except the being crazy part).

Now is the time to add another coat. Make sure you maintain the tile & grout with a tile & stone specific neutral pH cleaner. Just looked at a job last night that the grout was eroding away. I'm sure it was caused by using an acidic cleaner.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase