Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-25-2017, 10:51 AM   #1
NewToDIYTile

New construction for 5K SQ FT house-builder asks what pref for tile construction?

Looking at a soon to be constructed 5,000 SQ FT house over 2 stories with unfinished basement (basement not counted in sq ft). The house will be a relatively open design on the main floor, open kitchen and living room area, meaning some larger spans will be happening.

The builder is open to any options for the structure knowing the whole house will be done in tile (6"x24") ceramic tiles.

Looking at using 1-1/8 AdvanTech subflooring.

The trusses though... unsure here?

Open Web trusses at 16" OC, or go with I-Joist styles...?

If you were asked what the "best" approach is on new construction to handle tile.... what would you go with?

I was thinking the open web would be easier for all the HVAC and plumbing work especially on the second floor?

Minimizing deflection and perceived floor vibration as well is very important to the homeowner (they have rowdy kids and hate the feeling of vibration or dish rattle when kids are jumping around, etc...).

For the open web trusses I was thinking that means ask the engineer for L/720 vs the more standard L/360 simply...

Am I being overly simplistic here?

EDIT: For clarity, I am not doing the tile work was just asking for thoughts.

Last edited by NewToDIYTile; 11-25-2017 at 10:59 AM.
NewToDIYTile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-25-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
K_Tile
Member of Million SF Club!!

YOu are on point.

1-1/8" subfloor...great
16" oc...great
L/720....great

I think you have it figured out.
Unread 11-25-2017, 12:05 PM   #3
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

One thing I would be a little careful about -

When installing the advantech (or any plywood for that matter) be sure to have a solid bead of adhesive on the top of the joist. Too many times I have seen movement in the plywood due to gaps in the gluing, not enough nails, missed nails,

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2017, 12:21 PM   #4
NewToDIYTile

Thanks and good point on the install.

I was going to suggest they use enough glue so that it "leaks" over the edge unless there is a downside to that happening?

Does anyone know the real cost of screws vs nails?

If you screw and glue vs nail and glue... my understanding is screws are far less likely to back out and cause noise/squeak, etc...

Does that tend to be the case or does the glue negate the cons of nails vs screws?

Lastly: What about sheeting the side of the trusses with 3/4 OSB or plywood or whatever with glue and nails? I know that can stiffen things up for existing construction, but do you see that with new construction? Does that compromise the open web trusses inherent flexibility? (Though in this case you don't want flex or rather if you have it then it needs to be uniform over the area I suppose).

Thanks again!
Unread 11-25-2017, 12:47 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back. Please change your permanent signature line to a first name for us to use.

You can use whatever style of engineered joists suits your fancy so long as they are engineered to the desired specifications for your purpose.

Not sure I would bother paying extra for L/720 deflection unless you actually plan on natural stone tile. The joists are most commonly engineered to meet L/480 rather than L/360, 'specially on longer spans. I'd be content with that.

I would recommend not using the 1 1/8ths" plywood subflooring. You'll get a better subfloor for your ceramic tile by using two layers of plywood instead, first layer of nominal 3/4" and second of nominal 1/2" plywood.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2017, 01:26 PM   #6
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

If you have a good construction adhesive bond, a good ring-shank nail will be more than enough. The nail acts like a glue clamp...once the adhesive sets up, the nails don't do an awful lot. On a second layer, I would use screws since there won't be any glue/adhesive and then, the fastener IS the whole thing holding those two layers together. Just the act of using construction adhesive to bond the subflooring to the structural support goes a huge way in helping to strengthen and stiffen a floor assembly as long as you use enough fasteners to make sure things are in intimate contact initially.

FWIW, using something like Ditra as your tile underlayment, IMHO, has a little sound deadening effect from impact sounds verses a cbu.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase