Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
hoss1955

Basement Shower Pan build questions

i am building a shower pan for a shower in my basement. I am as "beginner" as you can get, and had a few questions.

For the shower base/pan, i will use dry pack to create the base and slope it accordingly to account for proper drainage. I will use Kerdi to waterproof the floor and walls of the shower, before tiling.

1. as for the base, before the dry pack - do I have to use a waterproof membrane before I install/pour/slop the drypack over the cement basement floor? I have seen shower pan liners used in some video examples, I have seen redguard used, I have seen nothing used.

What do I do?
Unread 05-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Hoss,

Welcome to the forum.

You don't need any of those other waterproofing materials ( vinyl liner, redguard) when you use Kerdi.

You may fare well by going to the Kerdi web site and watching some of their most excellent videos. Now don't get to thinking that installing Kerdi is as fast as the man in the video. There has been much scrutiny, but since most Pro's here can't hang it that fast we are still searching the video frame by frame to see the extra arms he must have.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 07:11 AM   #3
presidentsdad
Avid DIYer, always looking for a better way

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabotAndRowe.com
but since most Pro's here can't hang it that fast we are still searching the video frame by frame to see the extra arms he must have.
I hear that!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase