Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-26-2021, 11:19 AM   #16
tarajon123

Thank you all. I appreciate the help.
Unread 10-26-2021, 02:35 PM   #17
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Plane old drywall works just great for a Kerdi base.....As an "Adjunct," I have become a big fan of Triden Board. I generally get it from Dal Tile...but they have been out recently due to.....whatever. If you can find it, it works great and is about the same price as concrete board. https://www.tritonwatertight.com/pro...ertight-board/

On their site, they also show a material much like Kerdi. Fabric, band and corners. I have no prices, but it seems to work well. Make no mistake, I like Schluter's Kerdi but this is a very good price alternative....at least for the boards.....

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

Last edited by Lazarus; 10-26-2021 at 02:47 PM.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2021, 03:29 PM   #18
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

WediBoard shower might be an option, too. If you planned small tile on the base, you might be required to switch to an epoxy based thinset material, but otherwise, it's similar. All of the joints with Wedi are done with their adhesive/sealant, which adds to the cost. But, you can water test it in like 15-minutes, and then start tiling as soon as you're happy with it.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2021, 01:16 AM   #19
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cx
…Because it's overpriced and will work no better than the inexpensive VersaBond from Home Depot.
Keeping the Schluter warranty intact is valued by some of my customers. For these folks, that prohibits the use of Versabond. And I’ve heard a few folks on the Forum talk about how expensive Schluter AllSet is, but I’m paying $24 a bag from a wholesaler. And in my quickie test, it shrinks less than Versabond. Does this last part matter? I think it is when the substrate isn’t as ideally flat as I’d like.

Help an awesome summer camp!

Last edited by Tool Guy - Kg; 10-27-2021 at 01:26 AM.
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2021, 08:38 AM   #20
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldstein
Keeping the Schluter warranty intact is valued by some of my customers.
Well, my comment was somewhat tongue in cheek, Goldstein, but not entirely. I would explain to the customer that the warranty is really of no tangible value because any failure with the Kerdi membrane will be due to an installer error. I say that from both a practical and a technical standpoint. But you're certainly correct that use of VersaBond would void the manufacturer's product warranty.

I've not used the AllSet and don't know anyone in my little berg who could order it in if I wanted to test it. There's only one place that is a Bostick dealer who can get me DitraSet - if that's still available.

And I have no idea how I would test for installed mortar shrinkage. How do you do that?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2021, 06:45 AM   #21
tarajon123

Shower ceiling

Another rookie question for the group. I am doing a shower with drywall and kerdi membrane on the walls. I do not plan on tiling the shower ceiling... just painting. Would you recommend using the mold resistant drywall above the shower or is the regular drywall fine.

Thanks
Unread 11-02-2021, 07:47 AM   #22
cx
Moderator emeritus

Jon, I've combined your first three threads for this bathroom project here so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. A moderator can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

An example of why it's important would be our collective advice that it's not necessary to have a level floor for tile, but no knowing that you planned to use a Kerdi foam tray for your shower and that foam tray does require a level floor.

As for your ceiling question, I would not use anything there but plain white drywall unless your ceiling it particularly low. If you decide to use one of the moisture resistant boards, keep in mind they generally require closer framing members for ceiling installations. And that becomes even more important if you have heavy insulation above.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 11-02-2021, 08:13 AM   #23
tarajon123

Thanks for doing that... I'm new to this board and I thought I was making a new thread but it piggy backed on my old ones. I'll figure it out.
Unread 11-02-2021, 08:25 AM   #24
cx
Moderator emeritus

You did make a new thread, Jon, I combined it with your previous threads.

Unread 11-02-2021, 12:09 PM   #25
tarajon123

Aah I misunderstood CX... I get it. Same project so keep it in same thread
Thanks
Unread 11-02-2021, 01:29 PM   #26
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

Typically, anything above the height of the shower head is considered out of the shower. Now, if you had a door that went from the floor to the ceiling, closing it off, it defiantly would change things, and moisture would then become much more of an issue.

If the ceiling is 8' or more, you don't even need damp rated lighting fixtures, but they may not be a bad idea.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
Unread 11-02-2021, 02:42 PM   #27
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
If you have the ceiling open, Jon, and the time, you might consider tightening up the OC spacing if possible. In my limited experience even plain white drywall will sag a little over time when exposed to steam from the shower.

It did in my master bathroom, but the trusses were 24" OC. If your joists/trusses are 16" OC it's probably fine but for the little bit of time and material the extra insurance is nice.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2021, 02:52 PM   #28
tarajon123

Go Board

Thanks for all the feedback everyone..

So I had my sheetrock guy come to measure for the job. Its a small bathroom but he's amazing. He's old school and almost lost his mind that I was adamant about putting regular gypsum in the shower. I explained the Schluter process and he knows it and still said no way. He said he would use Go Board with the Schluter pan and kerdi band the edges. I know its combining 2 different system but has anyone done that before?
Unread 11-04-2021, 03:48 PM   #29
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

I'd go with KerdiBoard if I was going to do a Kerdi shower. THe way a Kerdi seam becomes waterproof is because of the way the surfaces interact while being in close proximity...I do not know if it will work the same way with GoBoard.

But, if you believe in the system, using drywall there is no different than using it on the ceiling of your house...you don't expect your roof to leak, so the board is not in a wet area, and works just fine there, why would it be different behind a waterproof layer in your shower?
Unread 11-04-2021, 04:14 PM   #30
cx
Moderator emeritus

Old school is fine, Jon. I play for that team. But when using new products, you need to play by the new school rules. If the manufacturer of the waterproofing membrane recommends using plain white gypsum board as your backing material, I'd recommend you use plain white gypsum board. It works just fine.

Just be sure to tell your drywall installer not to apply any finishing compound to any of the seams or fasteners in that area.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase