Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-21-2021, 07:37 AM   #31
Chowchewey

Tile layout

I have read many Q & As on tile layouts, but this one I have not seen so I hope you will share your views.

In my 60" x 36" shower, on the 60" wall we plan to install a 13" wide vertical "waterfall" run of ~ 2x2" mosiac porcelain tile. The rest of the wall tile will be 12 x 24 porcelain. I cannot locate anywhere how much offset the manufacturer recommends.

After laying the mosiacs, I'll have ~24" on either side which means I will have just enough room to lay 1 full tile - a soldier course. Is a soldier course considered 0% offset and if so would this look right or cause issues? We are waiting on the tile so cannot see how flat they are. Here is a link to the tile.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/MSI-Aspe...1224/303074802

On the 2 36" walls, if I used a 30% offset this would create slivers on every third row (assuming my math is correct!). A brick pattern would be ideal from an installation and waste perspective but don't want lippage issues either. Any suggestions? Any experience with MSI tile? Thanks as always for the help.
Unread 10-21-2021, 11:04 AM   #32
MTy

What I found very helpful when doing my shower layout was to take a roll of the brown craft paper. Unroll a piece larger than the full dimensions of the walls I was tiling and then measure my walls at each corner, niches, window etc. I then marked them all on the paper. I also measured the center point where I thought I wanted to start my layout and marked that as well.

Doing this allowed me to lay my wall tiles down and spacers down and test out different offsets and starting points to avoid slivers and all.
Unread 10-26-2021, 08:12 AM   #33
Chowchewey

Drain and sheet membrane

Going back to the drain and using Hydroban sheet membrane for the floor. Laticrete recommends using thinset to adhere the membrane to the drain (around the hole). My concern with this is the potential for moisture wicking underneath the membrane (via thinset) in this critical area. Laticrete offered no solution when pressed for alternatives. Thoughts on using silicone or other material in this area?

CX - I really like your idea to do the floor almost last in the process. However, Laticrete recommends installing their membrane in a sort of bottom up process. That is corners first, then changes in plane, then walls, then floor. Any ideas how I can install the floor almost last and still follow the manufacturers recommendations? I've been racking my head around this for a few days and can't come up with a solution.

Thanks as always for the help.
Unread 10-26-2021, 08:36 AM   #34
cx
Moderator emeritus

I hafta give you the same response for the receptor that I'd give you for the bonding flange drain; the overlapping seams must be waterproof or the material/system could not qualify for ICC approval for use in shower systems, which I think Laticrete's membrane does.

I've seen where Laticrete recommends "shingling" their membrane on shower walls, but don't understand why. You cannot shingle a vertical seam. You cannot shingle the receptor portion where it's necessary for the receptor to contain water when filled to the top of the curb. You obviously cannot shingle in every direction in a three-plane corner.

The requirement makes no sense to me. You might wanna call Laticrete and see if you can determine the thinking there, and please do come back and tell me where my thinking is wrong on the matter.

Were I to use laticrete's membrane for a shower, I'd do it the same way I've done Kerdi showers and USG Durrock membrane showers, which is to complete, including tile, the ceiling and walls except for the bottom row of tile before even installing the bonding flange drain. And I'd bond the floor membrane to the bonding flange drain with thinset mortar as the manufacturer instructs.

You can certainly try to actually follow Laticrete's shingling instructions if you can see a way to do that, but the overlaps with that membrane are either waterproof or they're not. You cannot shingle a shower receptor.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2021, 10:29 AM   #35
Chowchewey

CX, thanks for being a voice of logic and reasoning. I believe this forum is read by a Laticrete rep, perhaps they will chime in and answer the questions posed about shingling. If not I will call them and will report back.

I forgot to ask this last time, but do you have recommendations on which thinset to use to bond the membrane to the cbu? I believe Laticrete recommends their 254 thinset, but that's $1 a pound and an hour drive for me. I have access to Custom and Mapei products very readily. I'm not certain how much thinset it will take to membrane a 5' x3' shower enclosure so would also like to use any thinset leftover for the tile install
if possible (porcelain, 12" x 24" possibly). The number of thinset products out there is dizzying. Appreciate the help.
Unread 10-26-2021, 12:45 PM   #36
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
FWIW, Art, I used the aforementioned Durock membrane and drain system on my shower floor, Durock foam panels on the walls, and the whole mess together with their preformed corners and band for my master bath shower. The membrane covers the drain flange, ends just shy of the opening, and is installed with thinset mortar. I flood tested it for two days. The shower was put into service over two years ago.

Also FWIW, I used Customs' Versabond for all of the membrane installation; seams, corners, and the shower floor, as well as for the Ditra Heat matt installed on the main bathroom floor over Hardibacker. And oh, Versabond to install all the 12X24 tile. Almost forget, Versabond to install the foam shower pan. I think you get the picture.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2021, 01:09 PM   #37
cx
Moderator emeritus

Where I live, Art, unless you're willing to drive 40 miles one way, your choices for brands of thinset mortar are Custom Building Products or Custom Building products which are sold in the place of orange aprons. I tend to use VersaBond for most any tile project. It's not that I'm somehow loyal to the Custom brand, it's because that's what's easiest for me to get.

Actually, now there is now a Lowe's store only 30 miles or less from me, but it seems you never what brands or products you'll actually find there, so I tend still to shop at homer's for such products.

And, in my experience, the VersaBond works well with the sheet-type waterproofing membranes, including Kerdi. Schluter is aware of that. And VersaBond is reasonably priced. Schluter knows that, too.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2021, 07:15 AM   #38
Chowchewey

Laticrete response / layout

I contacted Laticrete about the question does it matter which order their sheet membrane products are installed and the response I got back was in terms of waterproofness (?) the order of installation is not important. The important key is to maintain a 2" overlap at all product seams. I didn't get into why they even list an order of installation. Mystery solved (mostly).

I also have a tile layout question. My interior shower dimensions are approx 60" x 36". I am using a 12 x 24" tile and a stacked bond pattern. On the 2 end walls the tile will extend beyond the shower area and the tiled end walls will be 42".

My question is on the end walls should the center grout line be the center of the interior shower dimension (36") or the center of the tiled wall (42")? I know it maybe a matter of aesthetics, but what is commonly done in these situations? If I use the center of the shower interior, one tile will be 18" and the other 24" to equal 42" and the grout line will line up with the water controls. If I use half of 42" each tile will be equal but will not line up with the plumbing. Like I said, what is the most common way to handle this?

Thank you very much for your help.
Unread 11-06-2021, 07:42 AM   #39
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I'd probably go for the grout line lining up with the controls, Art.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase