Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-24-2021, 02:21 PM   #1
criyi

Granite Epoxy Advice needed

I have a granite counter that has a seam just in front of the sink. I have no idea why, I bought the house when this was already installed. It has separated and epoxy would be great but the problem is I can't separate the seam to put epoxy in without fear of breaking. Any ideas how I could do this?
Attached Images

Unread 10-24-2021, 05:13 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, George!

Yeah, I don't enjoy a seam at the sink like that. What's even less enjoyable to me is that they mounted the bowl as a "drop in" versus under-mounting. It's cheaper to install it like what you have because there is no need to profile and polish the sink cut-out. And that might be the reason they did it.

I can't quite see how far apart the granite pieces are. It almost looks like they are touching and the tiniest amount of epoxy was knifed into that seam. Can you tell us how large of a gap you'd have between the two pieces if all the epoxy were to magically disappear?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2021, 05:43 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The granite fabricator I have used (used to awhile ago anyway) gets $350 to cut and polish and provide the mounting for an undermount sink, so it's not inexpensive, but depending on the layout of the slabs, my preference wouldn't be to have a seam there, either! A hole near the edge for a sink is a potential weak point where it could crack, so it's 'safer' to seam it there. Once it's installed, though, that shouldn't be a problem.

Some epoxy is quite fluid, and might flow into that crack...some is more like honey, and probably wouldn't. There are some acrylics that might work.

You might take that picture to a granite fabricator house and ask them how they'd handle it. They will have access to more materials than you're likely to, and because they do it regularly, may give you an idea of what will work.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2021, 08:05 AM   #4
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

Seam placement depends on slab size, shape of the piece, cutout if in a full piece and material selection. Eliminating a 40" seam is preferable sometimes. Pieces like that need a biscuit but not everyone will take the time to do it. It can be repaired but not really a DIY project. Personally I wouldn't try to pull the seam, always a risk of breaking it after its cutout.

Call a fabricator and let them assess.
Unread 10-25-2021, 12:56 PM   #5
criyi

It is on a larger countertop so I imagine it was done to reduce the large seam. The seam looks to be touching with almost no gap. The fluid epoxy seams (pun intended ) like a good idea. I definitely didnt want to pull it apart and risk breaking. I live in a small town and the only granite guy blew me off so I'm gonna have to do this on my own.

The sink was added a few years ago, the original was not an undermount (built in 2005) and had a rougher cut
Unread 10-26-2021, 05:19 PM   #6
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

Flowing is like syrup so getting into the joint won’t go far. To make a good fix the sink would need to be removed, seam separated and re-pulled tight. Short of that it would crack again. Consider just shimming the left side rail and using clear silicon.

Keep in mind stressing the piece it is possible to crack the rail. Consider all this before you proceed. Not something I’m going to try to talk someone through not being there in person.
Unread 10-26-2021, 09:47 PM   #7
criyi

I ordered some 10cc syringes with blunt tips, I am going to try and inject epoxy into the crack. Wish me luck.
Unread 10-26-2021, 09:59 PM   #8
Tool Guy - Kg

It might be tough to get that seam to line up, if that’s your intention. You probably can’t just shim the seam into alignment. Judging by the gap in front of the sink, I think you’ll need to lower the far left end of the top or raise the far right end of the top to get the seam to line up.

Last edited by Tool Guy - Kg; 10-30-2021 at 09:09 PM.
Unread 10-30-2021, 04:24 PM   #9
criyi

My plan is to use a piece of poly and a c clamp it into place til it dries
Unread 10-30-2021, 09:14 PM   #10
Tool Guy - Kg

If your intention is to only use a C-clamp to align the joint without manipulating the support on the left or right (or both) sides of the top, I’d caution you that it might over-stress and crack the granite.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase