Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-19-2021, 05:07 PM   #1
Kippee

low grout line

Bathroom floor tile, porcelanosa 18" square, rectified was installed 1 1/2 months ago, though not at 1/16" spacing as requested, but closer to 1/8". The grout lines seem low as the edges of the tiles can be felt when walking barefoot on the tiles. At the edge where the threshold will be placed there is also a gap in the grout, leaving me concerned as to how well laid the grout is overall. The tile installer says he will use a straight edge razor to remove the sanded powertec grout as the grout was laid in the beginning of August. When I asked about possible damage and scratches to the tiles from the razor, he said he could "pop" out any damaged tiles and replace them. Shluter Ditra heating system is beneath the tile. I am concerned about this entire approach which seems likely to create even more problems and would appreciate thoughts and recommendations.

I will send additional photos in separate message.
Name:  IMG_2899.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  103.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2864.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  117.5 KB
Unread 09-19-2021, 05:12 PM   #2
Kippee

low grout line #2

Here are the additional photos:

Name:  IMG_3094 4.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  38.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3093 4.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  36.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3092 4.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  55.0 KB
Unread 09-19-2021, 06:20 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

I don't think a utility knife is going to effectively remove enough of the grout (2/3rds the depth of the tile is the standard recommendation) before re-grouting is performed. I suppose if the grout was mixed way too loose, it might not be as rock hard as I think it is and maybe a utility knife could work. An oscillating tool with a grout removal blade is much more powerful to grind away the grout and much more controllable (as opposed to the razor that has a bad habit of catching on the tile and accidentally skating across the face of the tile).

Removing tile over heating cables is a veeeeeeeery delicate operation and there's no such thing as just "popping out" a tile.

Do you have confidence in your installer to do the right thing if the tiles and/or cables are damaged?

P.S. The grout that's been put between the tile and the door jamb is inappropriate (should be a flexible sealant) and is already cracking.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2021, 07:17 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

What Bubba said. He will have much better control with an oscillating tool. I would do anything it takes to avoid having to remove a tile.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2021, 07:32 PM   #5
Lou_MA

There should be a label on the ditra heat cable and / or box that listed out the expected resistance values for a variety of tests using a multimeter and megger. Before any work is done, I’d run those tests as a baseline and make sure everything is reading as it should. I’d also take them at the end of each day to make sure that day’s work didn’t nick any wires.
Unread 09-20-2021, 03:35 PM   #6
Kippee

low grout line

Thank you for your responses and confirming some of my thoughts.

Re the grout between the tile and door jamb--how should I have them remove it?

The floor space (excluding the tub and shower) is 9 x 12 and they contend the grout can be removed and regretted in one day, which leads me to believe they are going for speed rather than accuracy and quality.

Should I just leave the tile and low grout lines as they are?
I greatly suspect "popping" tiles will result in needing to retile the entire floor. This tile is no longer available. And, despite their being certified, I am not particularly impressed with the workmanship.
Unread 09-20-2021, 04:48 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippee
...they contend the grout can be removed and regretted in one day.
Typo, or Freudian slip?

The removal might be possible in one day, but regret is indeed the likely outcome.

Living with the installation as-is might be the better option. At least until you start having more difficulties with the installation. Unfortunate situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippee
...despite their being certified, I am not particularly impressed with the workmanship.
I fear the industry's "certification" program has turned out to be a bit less than anticipated and advertised, but that's a separate discussion.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2021, 04:58 PM   #8
Kippee

low grout line

How should they remove the grout on the sides of the tile that will abut the threshold?
Unread 09-20-2021, 10:56 PM   #9
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

This isn’t meant to be a smart-ass comment: they should remove it in whatever manner that doesn’t damage the tile or wood. I say this because it’s neither your expected responsibility to tell them how to do their job, but it’s also a slippery slope to tell them in the first place. Why, because they have the option to claim that subsequent damage was caused by their attempts to do it “your way”.

Your only instruction might be: ‘Please correct that hard (and now cracking) grouted joint to something that is industry approved without damaging the tile or door jamb’.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2021, 11:16 AM   #10
Kippee

low grout line

CX~ LOL re a typo or Freudian slip. It was both. I thought I was typing regrout, but I know I was experiencing regret with the idea.

Tonto~ Your point is well taken--not a smart-ass comment.

We are leaning toward only having them regrout (hopefully without regret) two small areas of grout line abutting the threshold where there were gaps in the grout and replace the cracked grout that you pointed out under the door jamb.

Many thanks,

Kippee

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase