Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
Hughesmonster
Hughes Contracting

Working in metro city highrise

So I'm bidding on a shower replacement in a highrise condo downtown Portland. 20th floor to be exact. Not quite sure how much to pad my labor. I have to set my saw in the parking garage at ground level. They have a service elevator I can use.

I am replacing everything with Schluter: drain, kerdi walls, mud pan. Not looking for exact numbers here but maybe someone can chime in with how much more time to factor in. I do almost all residential, and have done very little like this.

Twice as long? Three times as long? They haven't picked out tile yet so of course if its stone and lots of polishing the price goes up. But I need to get a base ballpark to get the thing rolling.

Any comments and advice welcome. Thanks,

Jason
Old 02-09-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
Kman

You know more about your work habits than anyone else. How many trips do you think you'll have to make to the saw on this job, and how long will each trip take? Sounds like you'll spend at least five minutes each trip, not counting the cutting time, just the travel time. It doesn't sound like much, but over the course of each day it'll add up.

Can you mix mud and do everything else at the project site, or will you have to go down the elevator for that as well?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:44 PM   #3
Hughesmonster
Hughes Contracting

I could maybe mix in the bathroom (its small tho) otherwise I don't want to make any dust in the unit (white carpet and pergo)
Old 02-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
The Kid

I'd find my residential cost then double it, these jobs are less then ideal.

Cascade Tileworks,llc
Licensed, Bonded & Insured
WA Lic# CASCATL894QA
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #5
Hughesmonster
Hughes Contracting

I was leaning that way...with doubling it being a min starting point.

Its right down town so I'll have to leave my 12' trailer at home and stuff everything in one of my other rigs. Staging nightmare.

It will get bid in such a way that it will be worth the hassle thats for sure. New to me builder and potential for more work so I don't want be way off mark, but I don't want to hate myself if i get it. LOL! isn't that just all biding in a nutshell?
Old 02-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
eurob
Not...Sure

Jason ,

First will be asking about the rules and regulations from the administration .

See what materials -- sound,water proofing , tiles or stones , etc. -- are approved by the administration for the intended work and/or if other or similar are allowed .

Working hours -- from ...to ....-- also play a big factor . s
Some allow only 6 hours with few procedures before working . Make sure the elevator is usable at all times when in need -- Other may or be already scheduled for same or different tasks as yours , etc. -- .

Protection on the floors is a must .

Knowledge -- something you cannot undo once you learn about it --
eurob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #7
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator

What Roberto said.

Especially this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto
First will be asking about the rules and regulations from the administration .
These may be work rules, renovation rules, trash disposal rules, liquid disposal rules, bi-laws, association rules, parking rules, etc... or they may be all the above and more. Until you know the conditions you need to meet, there's no way to bid the job. Doubling your normal rate may work, or it may be 5x or 10x.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #8
Kman

Yep, I had to work in a subdivision once that had strict work hours. My normal work hours are a bit unorthodox. Sometimes I don't get started til after lunch and depending on the job I might work til midnight.

This job was ideal since nobody was living in the house at the time, but the powers that be wanted all the workers out by 6PM. Even had to buy a permit to park my truck inside the subdivision. It was even worse the first weekend I was there, the LPGA was playing at the course right next to the house, and the whole thing was on TV. They didn't want any construction going on at the time.

I'd find out from someone in that building what their hours are. They may not even want your vehicle there outside of those hours.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:38 PM   #9
zeaflal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughesmonster
I have to set my saw in the parking garage at ground level.
Security? Looks like an easy way for someone to "acquire" a wet saw.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:43 PM   #10
Kman

I doubt that you could find five people in that building that would even know what they were looking at if they saw a tile saw.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:34 PM   #11
zeaflal

I am not familiar with Portland. But in many cities, if it is accessible and you are so inclined, you don't need to know what a tile saw is. You just need to know a good fence.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:39 PM   #12
Hughesmonster
Hughes Contracting

Thanks for the input, guys.

I was able to have a conversation with the building maintenance manager. He was very helpful and is used to having construction done in his building. there are two designated spots in the parking garage for service vehicles and a room in the parking garage I can set my saw up in. They still didn't recommend leaving tools in there over night tho. He said he can lock out the service elevator just for me so its always available. So those are some pluses.

I'll have to square away the working hours. At least most the noise will be in the garage.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:54 PM   #13
madmantrapper

I've been involved with stuff like this before, not doing tile but other improvements. Don't forget maintaining runners from door to work area. Up and down gets old quick. I've done two that I wish I never started. My motto is get in as early in the morning as you can and work til noon. That way most of the low-lifes are avoided, they don't wake up til 11:00.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:01 PM   #14
Higher Standard Tile
Tile and Stone Contractor

Jason I do a lot in condos. If you can find a way to have your saw in condo it will make the job easier. I've set up over carpet with my Dewalt and well placed tarps.

And like others mentioned, make nice with the management and staff. Every place has different rules. If you treat them good they will remember you.

Higher Standard Tile & Stone
Maui, Hawaii
CTEF Certified Tile Installer #673

Maui Professional Tile & Stone Installation
Higher Standard Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #15
Hughesmonster
Hughes Contracting

care to share how you waterproof over carpet? I run the dewalt saw and it puts out a lot of water. I've seen the little tent deals at my local Amer. Olean...

still, like I said, they have white carpet... not that there is a color that likes water. LOL!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase