Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-08-2014, 02:28 PM   #46
djn

Thanks, CX.

Kevin, he seems to have a lot of the right answers, and I would be all over it this time around. I don't know what else to do other than hire someone else, and that would be starting from scratch. This guy has done three other jobs in my house. I'm looking at Angie's List right now, and everyone has a bad review here and there. Isn't there a list on this site to find professionals? I thought I saw it once but can't seem to find it now.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #47
Kman

There's no list here, but if you go over to the Pro Hangout and start a thread titled, "Looking for a pro in (your city)", you might get some responses.

Of course, being a forum member isn't a guarantee that you'll get quality work. You have to do your own due diligence.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #48
Cain
Cain

Debbie,
I just spoke with Nic, he informed me of your troubles.
I haven't read through the whole thread yet, I will when I get home this evening.
Feel free to give me a call and we will see what we can do, I will be in marietta on Thursday and friday.
Certified Tile Installer #362
Serving the metro Atlanta area

Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:12 PM   #49
djn

Thank you, Kevin. I've been busy today doing my homework. Which leads me to...

Thanks for your message, Cain. I will call you tomorrow.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:12 AM   #50
djn

Shower floor problems continue---

Unfortunately, my shower floor troubles continue. I have an idea of what the tile pros here will say, but your confirmation would be most helpful. An update on my story since my last post here, followed by a few photos:

Cain came by to look at my issues and advised me to let the original tile guy give his proposed correction a shot and see what happens, then go from there if the problems continue. That correction was to pull up the floor tiles in the areas that were staying wet, fix the slope in the mortar bed, and replace those tiles. He did this work on 12/15. He also insisted on sealing the grout (even though we used an admix) because he continued to believe that sealing the grout would keep water from seeping through the shower floor grout lines. I would not have let him seal the grout, but he quickly sprayed some sealer on the floor when I was out of the room for a few minutes. The grout was sealed on 12/18.

Everything seemed to be fine at first, but three months later (around 3/11) I noticed that one of the grout lines was staying wet again. Then a grout line along a second wall started staying wet. Two weeks ago, I did a major shower floor cleaning with Aqua Mix Concentrated Stone and Tile Cleaner (before that I had been cleaning only with clear water). I let the diluted cleaner ďdwellĒ on the floor for a few minutes per the instructions. Since that cleaning, all of the areas that had been repaired have been staying wet again. Sometimes some of the areas will dry out a little between showers but never completely; spots of dark wet grout remain along the grout line that has mostly dried out.

At first, I thought perhaps this was happening because the heat was running less as the outside temps warmed up, and I continue to think that may be contributing to the varying degree of wetness that I see. But I think the problem really is that the slope issues are in the layers below the mortar bed and that it just took a while for the wetness to build back up to the grout line after the repair. And the only way to correct the slope is to pull out the entire floor and start over. Cain said he could never get the bottom row of wall tile back on the wall flat with the rest of the wall (I donít think anyone could), and that he would recommend a complete shower tear-out if the repair job didnít work. So that is what I am afraid I am looking at to fix this problem. I have not yet contacted the original tile guy because I want to see what you guys say first. I do not think the original tile guy is going to rebuild the shower even if we purchase the tile (and Iím not sure we want him to at this point), so we would bear the total cost of the shower rebuild.

I also want to ask what will happen if we do nothing? Right now I am seeing no signs of mildew, but will that come later as the shower is used over a longer period of time? I want to fix the problem now, but my husband will surely ask this question. If we delay the rebuild, I would probably go ahead and purchase the tile we need and store it. We used the same tile throughout the bathroom and I donít want to change the look.

Photos:
First a few from the repair:
Name:  IMG_4206 downsized.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  58.1 KB
Name:  IMG_4207 downsized.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  32.5 KB
Name:  IMG_4218 downsized.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  56.6 KB
Name:  IMG_4219 downsized.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  31.5 KB

The wet grout lines showing up:
First just the short line on the left wall:
Name:  IMG_4274 downsized.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  31.9 KB
Then the middle of the back wall and small place in right back corner:
Name:  IMG_4279 downsized.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  34.0 KB
After the cleaning, the longer line on the left, the center of the back, larger area in the right back corner, and the right wall (hard to see because of the glass and angle):
Name:  IMG_4304 downsized.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  33.4 KB

I have close-ups of all of the above but hopefully you get the idea from these. As always, thanks in advance for your most helpful opinions and advice!
Old 04-28-2015, 05:57 AM   #51
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Debbie. It's impossible to know for sure. There's no way of knowing if the moisture will ever get above the waterproofing that is installed too low. Like someone said, the nails thru the curb and liner are scary to me. I would think a moldy, musty smell would be the first signs but it looks as if the water is staying contained. It's just not all going down the drain like it should be.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:31 AM   #52
CSS

It looks to me like the tile at edges stays wet because that's where the red guard is. Over your dyrpack the water will flow through the sadn to pan then to weep holes. with the red guard on surface it keeps the water that goes through grout lines at the surface. Which is then wicked into grout making it stay wet until evaporated. Your biggest issue and one for which we replace dozens of showers for. Is the cement board being nailed into the curb. This is not done by any true pro. Your shower will leak and it will rot if left long enough. When depends on how much use it receives. Buy the way. Red guard requires two coats going perpendicular to each other for proper waterproofing factor. Normally that means you cant read the letters on durock. I don't like band aid repairs. But you could take out the bottom row and the pan. Then just replace with kerdi pan this will keep the water in check. I would replace all and do it right.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2015, 04:56 PM   #53
djn

Thank you for your responses, Davy and Robo. I didn't even think about the effect of the red guard extending onto the edge of the shower floor. That could have something to do with it, or all of the issues are coming together for a perfect storm.

Robo, I have a grout line going right down the center of the curb like one of your photos. How long did the curbs you repaired last before they rotted? Our shower is used at least twice a day and of course water collects in that center grout line on the curb with every shower.

I guess we need to bite the bullet and do the total tear-out.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:41 AM   #54
CSS

The earliest failure was 6months old. the longest was 10 years old. You never can tell with water. You can be sure it will get worse with time.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:19 PM   #55
djn

Weird thing happening in shower drain pipe

This is not a tile issue but I'm hoping one of you very helpful tile pros will know what is going on and clue me in. I was cleaning the hair trap on the shower drain today and noticed something black hanging off the vertical pipe that connects to the drain system. With a flashlight, I could see that the PVC drain pipe has some sort of black lining on it that is peeling away, starting at the top of the pipe where it connects to the drain. I pulled out the loose material that I could reach with my tool (kitchen tongs!) but I can see that more material is hanging down lower than I can reach.

What the heck? Does this sound right? We are concerned that this material is going to keep peeling away and clog up the drain! I just looked in the drain of the shower that this same guy did about five years ago and the pipe looks like regular white PVC pipe as far down as I can see.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer. Again.

Last edited by djn; 06-12-2015 at 09:10 PM. Reason: correct typo
djn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:12 PM   #56
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

The only thing I've seen inside a shower drain is a mix of hair and soap film or crusty looking minerals of some sort. Are you saying it is something other than that?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:20 PM   #57
djn

Yes. It's black, and it is like a lining on the inside of the PVC pipe and goes down as far as I can see, but it has started peeling off at the top of the pipe. I pulled out the pieces that were loose and close enough to the top to reach. When I first pulled them out they were wet, and the material looked like a very thin foam pad--very thin--and was smooth on the side that was stuck to the PVC, and was not smooth on the exposed side. I saved the pieces I extracted, and now that they have dried out they are curled up and kind of brittle and crumbly. I plan to take the pieces to HD tomorrow and see what they think. I googled PVC pipe but could not find a product that looks like this.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:50 PM   #58
Kman

It's just slime, Debbie. A collection of soap and everything else that gets washed down the drain over the years. If enough of it dislodges at one time, it could clog the drain, but I've never had one that couldn't be unclogged easily enough.

If you were to pour a little bleach down the pipe, you'd see it start to disappear after a bit, or you can get a plumber's snake and try to work it loose manually.

Name:  plumber's snake.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  2.2 KB

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:52 PM   #59
Splinter
Kitchen & Bath Remodeler Long Island

Its just a build-up of funk on the inside of the pipe. I see it on practically every sink trap I remove. Its wet and funky when I first disconnect the trap, but after it dries out, it just flakes off in big delicate pieces.

Your PVC pipe is not de-laminating.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:58 PM   #60
djn

Okay now I am really grossed out! I guess I thought that piece would have been replaced as part of the shower rebuild, but maybe not. Geez, I've got to get that stuff out of there!

Thanks for the info. You guys are the best!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase