Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
deashby
LovesDIY

Small Master Bath Remodel

Hi there,
I am new to this forum and this is my first posting. We need a little advice on our bathroom remodel. Okay...here's the background: small 36" x 44" shower with previous water damage. We could tell some tiles had been replaced at the bottom of the shower b/c the tile color was off. Anyway, we realized that water was seeping out from under the shower floor tile and after numerous hours of internet research we realized we would have to replace the entire shower bed. We spent all day tearing everything out down to the studs. Needless to say, it was a good decision on our part.
So, tomorrow we will modify the plumbing (going from 2 knobs to 1) and construct the initial mortar bed. Right now there is no subfloor in the shower area, only original floor joists. We need to know what size plywood we need to put down over the floor joists? Then tar paper over the plywood? Do we need to put down the wire mesh? or after the paper can we put down the prepan mud (is that the correct terminology?)? Also there is only 2x4 framing on the floor and doesn't the mud need to go up 1/2 inch before we slope it??
We really appreciate any help you can give us b/c this is the first time either of us has attempted a shower rebuild and we're a little nervous and don't want to make a costly mistake. Thanks!!
Unread 07-10-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Diane,

Welcome to the forum.

1- Can you number your questions? It save a lot of typing, and we aren't paid by the word. Come to think of it, we aren't paid at all.

2- Got some pics? Some closer and some further away. Its a good idea for us to 'look over your shoulder' before you start nailing things together. Like the drain pipe and such.

3- What waterproofing method have you decided on? That will determine much of the advice we give from here forward.

4- What tile selections have you made? Natural stone, glass, ceramic or porcelain?

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
Marge

Diane, welcome to the Forum.

Like Paul said.....pics are really helpful and knowing what type of construction/waterproofing/materials you plan to use is crucial to providing the appropriate advice you will need.
Unread 07-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #4
deashby
LovesDIY

Thumbs down Small Master Bath Remodel

Sorry, I didn't think about numbering the questions. I'm really new to posting to forums so I hope everyone will bear with me.
I didn't post pics b/c I didn't think I could yet but I will now.

We purchased the Quick Pitch and Quick Curb system with the shower pan liner and drain assemby from the Tile Shop. They have step-by-step directions to follow and swear it's "goof proof".

As for the tile, I designed a pattern that we like very well and it uses Porcelain 12x12 and 6x6's, scabos travertine mosaics as part of the border along with the travertine pencils and glass mosaic sheets. The glass mosaic will also be on the shower floor as well as the one row up where the fixtures are. I am uploading pics for you to see the shower as it is now. Hope they upload ok for you to make out the area. Thanks for any help.
Attached Images

Unread 07-10-2011, 11:18 PM   #5
deashby
LovesDIY

Small Master Bath Remodel

Also, my husband removed the drain and is replacing the old metal piping with new pvc piping and removed the entire drain since we were putting a new drain in.

I would have posted pictures with my first post but the "rules" say I couldn't until my 3rd post. And since I am a schoolteacher out of habit I usually follow the rules!
Unread 07-10-2011, 11:20 PM   #6
Marge

Diane, you have no need to apologize!

We'll do all we can to help and that will include asking for more info...like pics. Like the good pics you just posted.

Hang tight...some help with be forthcoming.

BTW, I really like your tile choices.
Unread 07-10-2011, 11:29 PM   #7
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Diane,

The quick pitch system they sold you is a complete waste of money may be of some use is not used very often by most pro's, and is one of those things that sounds good on paper. You may not need it at all. But before we get there, we still need to know what waterproofing you intend to use on the floor and walls of your shower.

There are 2 basic types of water proofing; Surface and subsurface.

Old school methods depended on a huge mass of ceement to slow down and/or stop water penetration. We don't do that any more. You can either

A-Subsurface waterproofing- Install over the studs a sheet plastic of 4 mils or greater, which tucks inside your tub flange, or overlaps your vinyl shower pan liner (we'll get into that later), then gets covered by ceement board (cbu). This works well but often has problems with niches, windows, benches, curves, and curbs.

B- Surface waterproofing is subdivided into 2 groups; fabrics and painted on liquids such as Kerdi or Hydroban. Normally the studs are covered with drywall or CBU (we'll get into that later) with the floor having a single layer of sloped ceement all of which gets covered by the surface waterproofing. The surface membranes are superior when it comes to odd shapes, curves, niches and benches IMHO, and are more DIY friendly.

Which method were you fixin to use?

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase