Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-20-2007, 07:52 PM   #1
OhioJay

Getting into a Small Master Bath Remodel

Hello everyone, I'm Jay and trying to get in the wife's good graces by finishing our master bath remodel. The demo is done as well as the plumbing. Now it's just the pre-tile and tile work. Have the typical run-of-mill newby questions since this is my first tiling project.

First, an introduction. I have John's hardcopy book and his e-book. Convereted a small 5x9 bathroom from a bathtub/shower into a shower. Plan on doing the Kerdi shower, curb, base, wall. Using Ditra on the remainder of the floor.

My first question is probably a stupid because I think I know the answer. We bought a new vanity and countertop. Do I just set this on the bare subfloor or place the ditra and tile under it? We're using a large 12" tile for the floor at a diagonal. I assume no one wastes tile by covering it up with a vanity. But I don't picture a grout line between the floor tile and the bottom of the vanity either. Likewise, for the wall behind the vanity. I once again assume most do not waste good tile that will be hidden by the vanity.

Next question, I've added a 1/2" layer of subfloor. There is one lone forced-air vent in this bathroom. What do you usually do for the vent hole. Do you just cut the new subfloor and tile for the hole and place the diffuser thing on top of that. Or is there some type of duct extension thing to be used.

Final question for now. We'd like mount a towel rack to a tiled wall. This type of towel rack just generally goes into a stud behind the wall. I plan on running a 2x4 for mounting purposes. Do I need to do anything special to mount this rack through the tile before or when I place the tile? Or do I just drill through it and mount it regularly.

Well, this is the first of I'm sure many more questions. Thanks for reading all this and thanks for your help.

Jay
OhioJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-20-2007, 11:38 PM   #2
RedRock
Granite, Quartz, and Tile Installer

Hello Jay, welcome to the forum - sounds like you're off to a good start.

Personally, I like to see tile under the cabinets instead of a grout line around the toe kicks. This can be covered with a quarter round, but for me its just one more thing to do. I also like to tile under the cabinets cuz it means less cuts. The tile that won't be seen is also a good place to use up your "uh-ohs".

Is there more subfloor under the 1/2 inch you installed?

Yes, you will need to cut around the heat vent and the diffuser just fits down the opening.

Good planning on the tile bar. The 2x4 behind the walls will let your kids swing from the tile bar and you never have to worry about it. Just make sure you know where it is once its covered up. Install the tile bar as usual.

Good luck on your project. Hope the missus appreciates your hard work!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase