Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 08-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #1
abirnbau

Haze on newly installed granite

Hi all,

Our granite fabricator has installed new Costa Esmeralda granite in about 1/2 of our kitchen. Particularly when there's side light from the windows, we can see a haze through large parts of the granite. We can also see what looks like residue which follows much of the white marbling in the granite.

We've installed granite (including Costa Esmeralda) in our previous homes and have never seen this type of haze / residue. The fabricator says a natural stone is susceptible to this type of imperfect surface and there's nothing he can do.

Is there truly no way to fix this problem? I've seen various suggestions around applying the sealer a second time and then properly drying the sealer. I've also seen suggestions that the Costa Esmeralda should never have been sealed in the first place and that the sealer needs to be removed.

Does anyone have some advice?

I've already told the installer not to cut any more granite for the second half of the kitchen as I have no intention of accepting the granite in its current state. We're pretty flexible people but the granite looks awful in certain lights and has no real shine because of the haze.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2018, 04:46 PM   #2
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

Great stone, considered a quartzite, its extremely dense and doesn't take in sealers very well.

Did he say he sealed it? What did he use? I would look at the rest of your material if it hasnt been cut yet and see if it looks the same. The 2nd pic does look like sealer haze
Old 08-18-2018, 05:02 PM   #3
abirnbau

Hi Jeff,

Yes, he did say it was sealed, although he didn't tell me what type of sealer. I've pretty much stopped the whole project (there's about 50% more to do) while we sort out this issue. The fabricator said there was nothing he could do to fix the granite and the haze effect was "natural" when certain types of granite were sealed.

Is there any recovery here? Although the fabricator is saying there's nothing he can do, I've variously read that sealer can be removed without affecting the color of the underlying granite. Or a second coat of sealer could be applied to re-activate the previous sealer and then very thoroughly dried.

Complicating the whole problem is that the other 50% of Costa Esmeralda that has yet to be cut needs to match the existing Costa (after whatever solution we come up with for the hazy Costa is implemented).

Of course, I can also go down the road of asking them to remove the installed Costa granite and refund my money. I would then go elsewhere and be very precise in stating what (we think) should have been obvious -- we don't want any haze on the granite.

Thanks, Jonathan
Old 08-18-2018, 06:55 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Jonathan.

I would ask if the fabricator sealed it. If so, ask for a small sample of the sealer. Apply the sealer to a small area where it looks hazy, allow it to dwell for several minutes, rub the sealer with a clean, white, soft rag with more of the sealer rather vigorously for a minute or so, then polish it with a clean, white, soft rag until it's 100% dry.

Examine the results to see if the haze has improved or disappeared. If so, what you've got is an excess of sealer on the stone and implementing the steps I outlined is a way to re-emulsify the excess sealer and remove it.

Old 08-19-2018, 11:32 AM   #5
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

Your half way there so I would encourage to work it out. Take a look at the rest of the material, if it looks good then make sure they understand you will take responsibility for not sealing the stone. Your only requirement is they remove the sealer from the installed pieces.

Its simple enough for him to do, an hour at most. He is correct in that some stones do haze are "natural", some stones just don't need a sealer, or absorb any.

Its not a cheap stone so i would be surprised if his ego superseded what he would lose on pulling it out and losing the job, but stone guys can be like that
Old 08-19-2018, 12:10 PM   #6
abirnbau

Thanks Jeff and Tool Guy,

It sounds like there's two possible recoveries -- remove the sealer and have the remaining 50% be installed unsealed. Or agitate the current sealer with more sealer and go for a more thorough drying this time. Then, assuming that approach works, do the same thing on the remaining stone.

I've taken a few more pictures and the original two pics. Any idea on which would be the better recovery path of the two possibilities?

Thanks for all your help.
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2018, 04:49 PM   #7
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Testing is the best path.

But it’s not a more thorough drying that you’re after. Haze is often caused by too much sealer sitting atop the material. All you’re trying to do with the method I’m suggesting is to remove the over abundance of sealer.

Old 08-23-2018, 03:32 PM   #8
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

You can grab some 000 steel wool from hardware store and see if that will knock it off. It may, it also may not. Dont be afraid to bare down on the 000, you arent going to scratch it as long as there isnt any grit other then the steel wool.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:34 PM   #9
Dog paws
Tileman

You have to look at the stock the fabricator has sitting on his A-frames. Its possible this project is snake bit.
I used to have a small fab shop and had couple of stones come in with a similar
hazing.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase